This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Have you ever heard the phrase “Smile, you look so nice when you smile?”

I think I’ve heard it more times than I can count on my fingers. Why is everyone so obsessed with me smiling? If I failed a test, am I supposed to smile? If I broke my arm, am I supposed to smile? If I lost a loved one, am I supposed to f*****g smile??

No.

People are not walking happiness robots who are meant to smile every second of everyday. 

Why does some random stranger need to see me smile when they don’t even know me? 

Why do I need a REASON to not be smiling all the time? I shouldn’t.

People are anger, sad, hurt, distraught, confused, and ten billion other emotions that are not happy… but you want us to smile all the time?? 

F**k that.

Society wants me to dance like a puppet and be happy whenever they ask me to. Society wants me not to get angry. Because people who are angry make noise. They yell and scream. Theyfight.

They don’t stop fighting for what they believe in, and that scares the people. The people who say “Smile!” get scared when we don’t. 

“Smell the flowers!” they say.

“Breathe the fresh air!” they say.

“Look at the rainbows!” they say.

I’m angry at the world and upset and confused and lost… and you know what? That’s okay.

I don’t need to smile all the time, no one deserves to see me smile until I say it’s okay. 

I don’t know about you. But right now, I don’t see any f*****g rainbows.

And I won’t smile ‘til I do.

-13

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.