This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

In this season of life it may be difficult to sit back and just relax. I often find myself stressed out about many things. While it can be difficult, it is so important to make sure to take care of yourself. While this has been a difficult semester, here are some things that I do to de-stress and take a break. 

Journaling 

One of the number one things I believe helps me to calm down is journaling. I love being able to write out my feelings. It really helps me get out any frustration I had about my day or even makes me feel extra good when I am able to write about a success. Sometimes, I even find it helpful to write about a bad day, rip up the paper, and throw it out. This is a huge stress relief for me because I feel like that bad day can be put behind me and I can start fresh! 

Baking 

I love to bake. I have such a passion for trying new things and during the pandemic I really have been able to do this a lot. I believe this really helps me to get out my creativity and enjoy some of the “sweeter” things in life. Even if you struggle with baking from scratch, picking up a boxed cake mix and frosting to decorate cupcakes can be something fun and relaxing. 

Taking a bath or shower 

In my personal opinion, there is nothing better than being able to come home after a difficult day and get some of your favorite products to take a hot shower. I feel like that quiet time by myself can be so relaxing and really puts me in a better mood. When I get home from work and I know I have an assignment due later that day, the first thing I will do is take a relaxing shower and then do my work. This really puts me in a good mindset where I am ready to accomplish my tasks ahead. 

While these might not work for everyone, they have really helped me de-stress. Maybe the next time you had a rough day pick up a journal or even go make some cookies. I can say that while it may not fix everything, you can be proud of yourself for trying! 

Lauryn Beermann

Scranton '22

Lauryn is a Junior Health Promotion major with a minor in Counseling & Human Services at the University of Scranton. She enjoys writing, photography, traveling, and fashion. You can follow her journey on Instagram @laurynelizabethb
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.