bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Re-Invention of You: Spring Self-Help Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Spring has sprung! Yes. It’s the season for renewal, refreshment, reinvention. So, please take the time this month to reflect and then create a vision of all of who you are and where you’re going. And be open to that altering as you discover more about yourself and the world. Discover some top life-tips to help you reinvent to a KICK ass you.

Tip#1: Learn the ancient art of rhetoric

“The elements of rhetoric, in all of their forms, are what make the world go around—because they are what prompt the decisions people make. If you develop an understanding of how they work, while everyone else is frightened by flames and booming voices, you will be able to see behind veils of communication and see what levers little men are pulling. Not only will you develop immunity from all manner of commercials, marketing, hucksters and salesmen, to the beautiful speeches of liars and thieves, you’ll also find yourself able to craft your speech in ways that influence people. When you know how to speak in order to change someone’s mind, to instill confidence in someone, to quiet the fears of a child, then you will know this power firsthand. However, bear in mind as you use it that your opponent in any debate is not the other person, but ignorance.”

Tip #2: Read Positive and Inspirational Material

“Spend time each day reading something that encourages positive thinking. Read the Bible, spiritual material, or inspirational quotes to help you focus on what’s important to you in life. It can be a great way to start and end your day.”

Tip #3: ALWAYS DO MORE Than required

Tip#4: Know your emotions.

“Know all of them. What are your past experiences with each emotion? Know what triggers each of them. Understand which events, and especially people, are associated with each. Do you understand why you respond emotionally the way you do? Are you satisfied that your emotional response is appropriate and reflects what you truly feel? Or, does your emotional response feel uncomfortable — for example, overreactive (or not reactive enough for the situation)? Do you feel frustrated that you can’t adequately express yourself? Knowing your emotions should help you judge how to behave when a situation arises. Each new event or interaction should not feel like the first time it’s happening. Each successive time a specific emotion is expressed gives you another opportunity to observe yourself and respond in a way that feels right (or at least better) for you.”

Tip#5: Maintain healthy boundaries

“How do you maintain your own emotional integrity? How do you keep others’ emotions from invading your space? Are you able to recognize when others’ emotions “become” your own, or at least when others are attempting to make you “feel” the way they do and the way they want you to? Do you have strategies to protect yourself from emotional invasion?

Think of a boundary as a healthy space around you. You decide how big this space needs to be for you to feel comfortable. It may be an actual space, measured as physical distance, or an imaginary psychological/emotional space. When you successfully maintain healthy emotional boundaries, you are taking care of yourself first and foremost. Once you’ve done that, you can actually deal with a situation or person more effectively, since you know what you can and will do, as well as what you will not allow to happen emotionally.”

Tip #6: Cultivate your own well-being on every level

“Practice self-care whenever possible. Physical care will keep you healthy and strong, better able to endure life when difficult things happen. Psychological well-being goes a long way to help sustain you, especially during life challenges when you are called upon to emotionally respond. Understanding who you are at your core, what makes you tick, how you differ from or are similar to those around you, and what your attitudes and beliefs are will help keep you on the “right track,” able to stay on your path in order to accomplish what you desire. As with emotions, your psychological outlookhelps keep you steady in your own life. Spiritually, cultivate a belief system that brings you hope and faith. Spiritual practice (this may be religious, but not necessarily) helps to sustain you on a daily basis, especially in trying and challenging times and with trying and challenging people.”

So, relax, reflect, and refresh you mind, body, and spirit. Share any of your personal self-help tips with us by tagging or hashtagging hercampus on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.

Angel Bailey

SCAD ATL '20

I’m a Fashion Marketing major, with a minor in business and fashion design. I also work as a mental health counselor. I love all things fashion, fun, music, travel, food and volunteer work.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World