Laughter is Healthy and Helps Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I laugh every day. It comes in forms of laughing at myself, someone making me laugh, watching something on social media that causes laughter and many more endless reasons. Laughter is an important part of my day and puts me in good spirits. It’s the main reason why my Instagram name is laughingqueen_. Although it’s not a nickname that’s ever stuck, I like being known as someone with a hearty laugh.  It’s one of my favorite pastimes. My favorite laughs result in stomach pains and tears in my eyes – you know, when you laugh so hard it hurts and you can’t stop laughing so you laugh through the pain –those kind of laughs. The best laughs make you feel like you just worked out. Well, guess what? You are! On top of laughter being enjoyable, it’s also healthy for you.

“Laughter activates the body’s natural relaxation response. It’s like internal jogging, providing a good massage to all internal organs while also toning abdominal muscles,” chopra.com states.

So, why not enjoy yourself by laughing and getting healthy at the same time? Here are some reasons why laughter is the best medicine.

Relieves physical tension and stress

Do you ever feel relaxed after a good and long laugh session? Well, not only does laughter relieve stress, it also leaves your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

Triggers the release of endorphins

Endorphins are your body’s natural “feel-good” chemicals or “pain-killers” that interact with the receptors or sensory system in your brain to help you feel focused, less impacted by pain and it puts you in a better mood, according to the article What are Endorphins. That’s another reason why you feel so good after laughing.

Are you convinced laughter is healthy for you yet?

Boosts your immune system

Laughter has healing properties. It increases immune cells, helps fight of sickness and improves your resistance to disease. When you’re laughing, you’re helping your body to keep well.

How much would you laugh to keep yourself well?

Laughter is contagious

Have you ever talked to a friend trying to tell you a funny story and you end up laughing because they’re laughing or have you ever laughed just because you heard someone else laughing? A study published in The Journal of Neuroscience, mentioned in the article Why Is Laughter Contagious? showed that “positive sounds like laughter trigger a response in the area of the listener’s brain activated when we smile, as though preparing facial muscles to laugh.”

Yep, laughter is contagious.

Good for your mental health

Laughter Online University says “Laughter reduces mental tension and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more. Both sides of the brain are stimulated during laughing encouraging clarity, humor and creativity and better problem solving ability.” Laughter is good for artists in their creative process. It helps them to stay focused and brings creativity. 

Laughter is good for the body, mind and soul.

Another fun fact: If you are into yoga or not so into yoga, but love laughing, try laughter yoga. Yes, it exists. I went to a class last year and enjoyed every laughter exercise, and at the end of the class I felt like I was on a high. If you want to learn more about laughter yoga, check out this link: http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/laughter-yoga/.

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World