This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As someone who has (very) recently re-taken up rergularily exercising and working on making a healthier and stronger version of myself, there is a lot that I didn’t know that I think is so vital for other newbies — like me! After about a month of incorporating the gym and other lifestyle changes into my daily routine, I wanted to share it with you all, for maybe some possible insight and advice and also to track my own progress!

The first thing that I really want to share is my weekly gym split — which means what muscles I’m working each day and what movements I do to achieve the targeting of that muscle. All of this is completed at my house or at the gym at school, so it is so beginner friendly! So first up, here is my Monday workout routine, starting with full body to get ourselves ready for the upcoming week!

MONDAY: FULL BODY

10 minutes stairmaster — level 4, 5 minutes straight walking, last 5 minutes step over variations to work inner and outer thighs 

Bulgarian Split Squats 4×8 — use a light dumbbell in each hand and elevate your back foot on a slightly elevated surface, doing 8 controlled split squats on each leg. Take a 3-4 minute break between each set!

SUPERSET

Lying Leg Curls 4×8, Seated Leg Curls 3×10

In supersets, you go from one set of an exercise directly into the next with little to no rest. With that being said, choose a slightly lighter weight than you would for a normal set, since you will get tired quicker and you want to make sure your form is staying in check so you don’t get injured!

SUPERSET

Shoulder Press Machine 4×8, Pectoral Fly Machine 3×10

Same thing for this superset as the last! Make sure you take a 5-7 minute break in between this superset and the last and hydrate!

SUPERSET

Dumbbell Bent Over Row 4×8, Choose one dumbbell that is only slightly challenging weight but one that you can complete the whole set with! I usually use a 20 pound dumbbell but feel free to go higher or lower to fit your needs! Using a bench or a jump box, put one hand on the bench, making your back almost completely flat at a 90 degree angle with your legs. Use the other hand to pick up the dumbbell and pull it back towards your hip, keeping your arm close to your body the whole time. Do 8 with each arm and move into your Dumbell Tricep Overhead Extension! For this, hold the dumbell with both hands and hold it over and behind your head, moving the weight up and down by bending your elbows. Sometimes I need a lighter weight for this exercise so feel free to have two different dumbbells for each set here!

Okay, you’re done! You made it through the first day of the week! Stretch out really good, go get some protein and water in your body! See you tomorrow;)

Mckennah is the twitter manager and is a writer at HC @ SAU. Beyond HC, Mckennah is involved in Dance Marathon and Student Nurses Association! She also works in a hospital as a PCT. Mckennah is majoring in Nursing with a minor in Biology. In her free time, Mckennah likes to read, watch movies, and hang out with her dog and friends! A fun fact about Mckennah is that she has 3 younger brothers aged 3 - 19!