My 10 Best Self-Care Tips

September was a month strongly geared towards Mental Health awareness. I’m a huge proponent for being aware of your feelings and knowing how to make myself feel better. Self-care, in my opinion, should be more talked about and more accepted by society. If you need a mental health day, you should take one. Sometimes I understand that we can’t always take a whole day to cheer ourselves up so here are some of the go-to self-care practices that I use on days where I am not quite feeling like myself.

1. 1. Spend an excessive amount of time on my skincare routine

There’s something calming about taking the time to really care for your skin.

oval makeup brush with compact mirror
  2. 2. Watch my favorite happy tv show

When I’m in the mood to be cheered up, I like to watch Friends or New Girl because I know they will make me laugh.

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
  3. 3. Surround myself with friends

Sometimes laughing and joking with friends is the perfect remedy for a bad day.

woman friends standing in a sunflower field
  4. 4. Go shopping

There’s a reason they call it retail therapy my friends. Sometimes a trip to the Target clearance section is all you need to start feeling like yourself again.

woman walking in hallway
  5. 5. Workout

A quick sweat sesh can be super effective in getting that dopamine flowing.

6. 6. Eat junk

When working out isn’t the vibe, ice cream makes everything better.

Amelia Kramer-Ice Cream Cone Close Up And Girl Smiling
  7. 7. Call my sister

Even if I don’t want to talk, she’ll speak enough for the both of us. Which somehow has a way of making me feel better.

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
  8. 8. Be alone

There are times when I don’t want to talk or be around others and that is okay too. Just as long as you come out of the dungeon eventually.

woman sitting alone looking out window
  9. 9. Listen to sad music

There are times when listening to sad music does make me feel better, even if it seems a little backward.

10. 10. Let myself feel it

In the spirit of listening to sad music and being alone, sometimes the best thing you can do is let yourself be sad, let it hurt, and let yourself cry. In the end, you might feel better than trying to push the feeling away.

woman lying in white bed

In the end, do what works for you, but understand there is nothing wrong with getting a little gloomy every once in awhile.