This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Mental health.

We’ve all got it, but none of us are comfortable talking about it. That’s perfectly fine, too. When someone is suffering from a mental illness, they feel as if they are alone in their suffering. It is our job as human beings to make them understand and feel welcomed at this time.

Mental illnesses can take many forms inluding: anxiety, depression, ADHD, bipolar disorder, and many more. Their symptoms can manifest in a multitude of ways such as panic attacks, excessive sleeping, jumping from subject to subject, going from extremely happy to low and upset. Most of the time, a lot of these symptoms become a reality out of loneliness.

Woman sitting alone
Priscilla Du Preez, via Unsplash

For panic attacks, they can stem from worrying about one thing, which makes you have anxiety about that one thing then you have anxiety about having anxiety and it’s just a continuous loop of anxiety. This makes your heart rate increase, your breathing becomes shallow and your rational thoughts fly out the window.

a man sits on outdoor steps in a white hoodie with his hands behind his neck looking frustrated
hamedmehrnik | Pixabay

Depression and excessive sleeping don’t always mean you’re depressed. It could mean that you’re tired, however, if you feel like staying in bed all day even though you have a multitude of things to do, that’s where the concern comes in and you should speak with your primary care physician.

ADHD is an interesting one because it involves being extremely hyper as well as spacious and unfocused, it can definitely make trying to focus on something interesting.

Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Bipolar disorder includes major mood swings, two sides essentially, manic behavior and depression. With manic behavior, one is more interested in sex, they spend large amounts of money, do multiple things at once, get less sleep, they are more likely to argue and can put themselves in unsafe situations. On the depression side, they can sometimes cut, think about suicide, sleep a lot and are just overall really down. These tend to be major mood swings, too.

There are valid reasons for all of these illnesses. It is okay if you have one of these or another one. You have to realize though, that you are not alone in your struggle. There are multiple people around you that are more than willing to sit and listen to you and what you’re going through. All you have to do is reach out to them. Having experience dealing with these issues myself, I’ve come to realize that finding help is not an admission of failure, it shows that you’ve just been dealing with it on your own for too long and you need some assistance carrying all of the baggage you have. You don’t have to go through these struggles alone, I can promise you that. Remember, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You are normal for your body and needs, our struggles may be different, but we are connected through our love. Always remember to breathe and you’ll be okay.

Just a 20 something freshman buzzing her way through life. *insert cute and inspirational quote here*
Her Campus at SAU