Fast and Easy Health Tips for the Average College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I think everyone can agree that it is extremely difficult to stay health conscious while in college. First of all dorm rooms do NOT help expand nutritional options, the cafeteria isn’t always the best option and once you do get a stove and oven of your own – how do you use it to cook healthy food? My mom’s not here to cook for me and I am helpless.

My second semester senior year, I think I’ve finally got it down and I want to share my findings with you guys. You know, pay it forward.

1. First of all, you all have to agree that chicken is the hardest thing to cook on the pan because it has to be completely white inside. I used to end up with a shredded chicken breast by the time my chicken was done cooking because I was so paranoid there was a little pink left. What did I learn? Cook it ssssllloooowwwwww. This prevents the chicken from burning on the outside before getting the chance to cook on the inside. You get a yummy dinner and you don’t get salmonella. It’s a win, win. 
  2. Brussels sprouts are SO good. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. They make a great side dish. I usually chop them up for breakfast, and I add chopped onions, green peppers, and egg whites and fry them on a pan with coconut oil. Tasty and healthy.

3. Crock-pots are super, duper handy especially when you have a busy day. All you need to do is put all of the ingredients in the pot in the morning and come back hours later to a hot and scrumptious meal.

4. Healthy eating is easiest when you have a support team. Two weeks ago my female cousins and I started a group text titled #JuneFirst. The phrase “June first” stands for motivation to be fit and healthy by the time summer comes around. In this group chat of ours every day we discuss fitness and dietary goals for the week and weekend. We trade healthy recipes, snacks, tips and tricks. We motivate each other to workout, to keep it up, and, to quote Nike, just do it. This group chat has been extremely helpful in keeping me honest, on track and determined to eat healthy and work out.

I hope these small tips help you become a healthier, happier and more confident YOU. Who run the world? GIRLS. 

***All photos provided by giphy.com. 1. chicken. 2. brussles. 3. crockpot. 4. never give up.