This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Every May, a special spotlight shines on an often overlooked aspect of our well-being: mental health. It’s Mental Health Awareness Month! This is a time to celebrate, educate, and advocate for the importance of mental well-being in our lives.

What’s the Buzz About?

Mental Health Awareness Month isn’t just about reminding ourselves to breathe deeply and count to ten when life throws curveballs (though that’s a good start). It’s a celebration of the complexities and wonders of the human mind. This month is a pivotal time for promoting honest and transparent discussions about mental health. From anxiety to depression, from ADHD to PTSD, mental health encompasses a vast spectrum of experiences, and every single one of us falls somewhere on that spectrum.

It’s OK To Ask For Help

In the same way that we eagerly share our thoughts on popular Netflix series, let us also engage in meaningful conversations about our mental well-being. Since those who suffer from mental illnesses like schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety don’t show any physical symptoms, these conditions are referred to as invisible illnesses. Normalizing invisible illnesses on and off campus means acknowledging that struggles like anxiety and depression are common and valid experiences among students.  By doing so, we can effectively combat stigmas and promote a culture where discussions around mental well-being are accepted and encouraged. 

Take a Break, Take a Breath

Being a college student means navigating academic and personal challenges, oftentimes away from home. With finals coming up, this is an important time to practice some self-care. Taking time to prioritize your mental health can help prevent burnout amidst academic pressures. Whether it’s binge-watching your favorite show, going for a walk, indulging in a tub of ice cream (my personal favorite), or even clearing your schedule just to rot in bed, do whatever makes you calm and happy. Taking time to prioritize your mental health can help prevent burnout amidst academic pressures. 

Resources

If you are in need of support, speaking with a mental health professional can be highly beneficial. Experts such as physicians, therapists, or psychiatrists, can offer advice on how to manage and treat stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns. Through CAPS, SF State provides free individual and group counseling services. Additionally, the West Campus Green housing, which is currently being built, will have a free in-house counseling center for residents. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the San Francisco Behavioral Health Access Center (BHAC) are two off-campus resources. More information, along with a few more options, is available here: SF State Mental Health Resources 

Lilah Rivera

San Francisco '27

Hi! My name is Lilah. I am from San Diego, CA and I am a first year dietetics major at SFSU