Midterms: 8 Ways to Stay Calm, Cool, and Collected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

With midterms rapidly approaching, that never ending to-do list is looking even more never-ending… Many assume part of the college life is going out with friends, discovering more about yourself, and discovering your passions, however; what they fail to mention is that the academic responsibility is often more overwhelming than previously thought. With the halfway point in sight, here are eight ways to stay calm, cool, and collected throughout midterms:

1.     Workout Working out and any other form of exercise is proven to relieve stress and leave you feeling more confident within your own skin (which makes you even more ready to ace those midterms).

2.     Sleep! Getting zzz’s is such an important way for your body to replenish energy and maintain a healthy immune system. If that means setting a phone alarm as a bedtime, then that’s okay.

3.     Buy a Punching Bag We all get slightly more irritable when stressed with tests, so why not burn some calories letting emotions out on a punching bag?

4.     Dance Party Sometimes it’s just absolutely essential to put on your favorite song and let it out; it will help get that dopamine flowing.

5.     Baked Bear Of course it’s ideal to maintain a healthy diet throughout midterms, but let’s be real, everyone could use a baked bear run to re-focus their energy on what really matters: ice cream.  

6.     Acknowledge 3 Daily Successes It’s not uncommon to get discouraged when there is a lot going on, that is why it’s important to recognize what you have accomplished in order to further motivate you in your endeavors.

7.     Layout in the Sun Living in San Diego there is no reason that you can’t soak up some sun and get some much needed Vitamin D every once in a while. Living in a climate that is sunny and 75 year long is pretty incredible.

8.     Just remember: everything will be okay It sounds cliché, but in the midst of life’s hurdles, always tell yourself that things work out for the best and everything happens for a reason. 

Born in the Bay but raised in the A. Give me absurd amounts of pasta and the beach and I will forever be a in a state of bliss.