Wellness

Let’s Talk About Self-Care

Self-care has been a saying used quiet dramatically and often lately, but what actually isself-care? Everyone has their own rituals and ways to make themselves feel better,relax, or calm down, but are they healthy? During college, students are constantlystressed and worried about the future (even the present), and after 3 years, I havefinally developed some healthy habits. Let’s get into it!

1. Know when to say “enough”

a. This is a given. Always make sure you are feeling mentally, emotionally,and physically good enough to get through long study session andlectures. If you are not up to it, do NOT force yourself! If your forceyourself, you are not going to be as productive as you think anyway, sojust take a deep breath, and do the best you can! Completing a big task insmall sections should do the trick. Just don’t overdue it.

2. Be honest with yourself.

a. If you are stressed or anxious about something, please do your body afavor and be honest with yourself about what you’re feeling, why you’refeeling that way, and what could be causing these feelings. Do not try tohide your emotions or bottle up any thoughts, as this makes mattersworse. Talk it out with your housemates and learn that opencommunication in any situation is key! This will ease tensions within youand you won’t feel so pressured to act in a way that doesn’t apply to howyou truly feel.

3. Learn healthy coping mechanisms

a. What do you do in such sad, anxious, or pressuring situations? Take abreak from everything! Even if its for only a few minutes or an hour. Yourbody NEEDS to recuperate and charge its batteries if you want to finish atask the best you possibly can. Listen to some music, do some jumpingjacks, eat a snack, apply a face mask, LITERALLY ANYTHING thatmakes you feel relaxed and cared for. You know you the best! This is upfor interpretation, so do whatever makes you happy! You work so hardand deserve a rest occasionally. (even though we may not think so!)Self-care is vital to success in school, but also to success in your relationships withothers and yourself. So, try some self-care once in a while! I swear it will make all thedifference, and you will not only feel better, but you will be ready to take on whatevercomes your way!

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!