stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Let’s Talk About Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Self-care has been a saying used quiet dramatically and often lately, but what actually is self-care? Everyone has their own rituals and ways to make themselves feel better, relax, or calm down, but are they healthy? During college, students are constantly stressed and worried about the future (even the present), and after 3 years, I have finally developed some healthy habits. Let’s get into it!

1. Know when to say “enough”

a. This is a given. Always make sure you are feeling mentally, emotionally, and physically good enough to get through long study session and lectures. If you are not up to it, do NOT force yourself! If your force yourself, you are not going to be as productive as you think anyway, so just take a deep breath, and do the best you can! Completing a big task in small sections should do the trick. Just don’t overdue it.

2. Be honest with yourself.

a. If you are stressed or anxious about something, please do your body a favor and be honest with yourself about what you’re feeling, why you’re feeling that way, and what could be causing these feelings. Do not try to hide your emotions or bottle up any thoughts, as this makes matters worse. Talk it out with your housemates and learn that open communication in any situation is key! This will ease tensions within you and you won’t feel so pressured to act in a way that doesn’t apply to how you truly feel.

3. Learn healthy coping mechanisms

a. What do you do in such sad, anxious, or pressuring situations? Take a break from everything! Even if its for only a few minutes or an hour. Your body NEEDS to recuperate and charge its batteries if you want to finish a task the best you possibly can. Listen to some music, do some jumping jacks, eat a snack, apply a face mask, LITERALLY ANYTHING that makes you feel relaxed and cared for. You know you the best! This is up for interpretation, so do whatever makes you happy! You work so hard and deserve a rest occasionally. (even though we may not think so!) Self-care is vital to success in school, but also to success in your relationships with others and yourself. So, try some self-care once in a while! I swear it will make all the difference, and you will not only feel better, but you will be ready to take on whatever comes your way!

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.