This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Meditation can sound scary and be intimidating, but the only way to overcome that is simply by trying it out for yourself.

With the tips below, you can find the best way that works for you and begin the path to better focus.

Being Mindful of the Present

Meditation lets you stop, breathe and focus on the moment. It’s not about whether you clear your mind, but rather focusing on being present.

Meditation can be done with different methods, like focusing on your breath, focusing on one mantra or one word that resonates with you or by being guided through meditation classes or videos online.

It is difficult, especially when you have a lot of thoughts in your head. But don’t worry! It takes a lot of time and dedication to train and focus your mind. If you find yourself becoming distracted or falling asleep, that’s common. Just shift your mind back to focus and keep trying.

Over time, you’ll become more focused and meditation will definitely become easier!

Lowers Stress and Betters Your Mental Health

Taking time to step back clears your mind of negative thoughts and overthinking. Once you’re able to stop your toxic or negative thoughts, you’ll be in more control of yourself and your thoughts. You’re less anxious, less depressed and less stressed. Being mindful allows you to see the situation for what it is, regardless of it being bad or good.

Perception is all in your mind. You decide how you feel and meditation is a great tool to change your perception.

Improves Sleep

When your head is filled with unnecessary clutter you’re more likely to be stressed. Stress and other negative emotions can disrupt our sleep patterns. By taking time to focus on yourself, it releases a lot of pent up emotions and tension from both body and mind. You’re able to feel more relaxed and sleep better.

How Do I Start?

There are plenty of ways to start the process. For instance, you can meditate on your own, with or without music, alongside YouTube videos or a DVD, use meditation apps, learn from books or even attend a meditation class.

If you’re a beginner like me, I recommend meditating along with YouTube videos that guide you on meditation because I find it more engaging.

For example, my go-to meditation youtube channel is Boho Beautiful. She gives a huge variety of guided meditation videos, pilates workouts and yoga workouts for all fitness levels. She posts a lot of inspiring videos that promote healthy living and the importance of your body, mind and soul.

Enjoy learning and calming your mind!

Jasmine Duong

Sacramento '22

Hello, I’m Jasmine Duong. I’m a second year at Sacramento State, majoring in pre-nursing with a minor in dance and/or nutrition. My hobbies include reading, doing makeup, exercising, hanging with anyone, shopping, & dancing! If I’m not studying, you can find me all over campus socializing!