This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As part of my resolutions for 2021, I’ve made it a goal of mine to create a healthy and regimented night routine in order to fix my sleep schedule. Long gone are the late nights where I somehow managed to stay awake till 4 in the morning. As I’ve started to recognize what my body needs in order to function at 100%, sleep is definitely at the top of the list. On the nights where I lack sleep, I feel extremely low in energy, my skin begins to break out, and I feel very moody. Creating a nightly system will help you achieve your desired amount of sleep, however, it won’t happen overnight. Through dedication and practice, these tips and tricks will help guide you in attaining your perfect night’s rest. 

Reduce your late-night screen time

We spend so many hours on our screens every day, yet many people aren’t aware that the blue light that is generated from our devices stimulates our brains and makes us feel less tired! As a result, blue light disrupts our body’s natural circadian rhythm and in turn suppresses the production of melatonin.

Tip: If your device has the option, switch on “night-mode”. This will adjust your screen to a yellow-tint, removing the blue light and allowing you to use your device without disrupting your sleep schedule. 

Pick up a new novel

Reading before bed has always been one of my favourite pastimes. It is a great way to stay cozy while helping to reduce the time I spend aimlessly scrolling through social media. Once you find a book you click with, I can promise you the time will fly by each time you pick it up to read. 

Tip: Gather a group of friends and start a book exchange. This way, you’re able to try out a couple of different genres and save time and money that would otherwise be spent searching for a new novel.

Nightly stretching

This has been the biggest game-changer. As someone who is very stiff from sitting in awkward positions in front of the computer all day, stretching has helped to relieve tight joints and back pain. After completing my stretching routine, I can feel my body relaxed and ready for bed. Any previous signs of tension are released from my body as I breathe through each stretch. 

Tip: Turn down your lights and light a candle to enhance the calm and tranquil atmosphere.

Elevate your bed sheets

Sometimes changing up the environment will help get you more excited about going to bed earlier. I recently switched up my cotton pillowcases to silk cases and instantly felt eager to get into bed, just so I could use them! Adding little details such as an eye mask, extra pillows or even a new set of sheets can help to encourage healthier sleeping habits. 

Tip: I find it very satisfying to get into bed when it is neatly made. Something about getting into a freshly made bed makes going to sleep feel much cleaner and enjoyable!

Organize your homework and deadlines

It is never easy to fall asleep when you have upcoming due dates and assignments bouncing around your head with nowhere to go. For me to fall asleep stress-free, I write down a list of everything I need to remember to get done in my agenda. By doing this, I know I won’t forget any deadlines, and I will be able to check back on it tomorrow in the morning.

Tip: Make a list on paper and remember to check off the things you get done! Each checkmark acts as a checkpoint to help visualize your progress throughout the week.

Getting a good night’s sleep is not easy, especially with technology allowing us to work all through the night. But I promise you, integrating just one of these tips and tricks will help you get the ball rolling on perfecting your sleep schedule.

Madeleine Law

Toronto MU '22

Madeleine is a 4th-year student in the Creative Industries program. She has loved being a part of the HerCampus Ryerson team, sharing her love for design, lifestyle and culture through her articles. In her free time she can be found doodling, scrolling through Pinterest or running around with her 4 dogs.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.