Culture > News

HerCampus Rowan: Weekly News Roundup: Nov 14, 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Campus News

Rowan Students Cautioned of Flu Outbreak

Rowan University officials are cautioning students to get their flu shot ahead of the winter season following an outbreak on the main campus. The university recorded 80 cases in the past 10 days.

Students on campus are having trouble finding the medication to help fight the influenza and are trying to get any sort of relief from the surrounding pharmacies.

Though COVID-19 cases are low on campus, as more students may have received the COVID-19 vaccine over the flu shot, students are being urged to remain vigilant against both viruses.

Symptoms of both illnesses are quite similar, so it’s important for students to visit a doctor if they are not feeling well.

Additionally, students can call the wellness center at (856) 256-4333. Students can also receive the flu shot every Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Chamberlain Student Center, or the wellness center.

US News

Fake FBI Emails Sparking Plans of Attack in ‘Ongoing Situation,’

The FBI was made aware of reports that unauthorized emails, coming from a real FBI email address, prompted a cyber threat.

These emails, apart of an “ongoing situation,” came from the FBI address early Saturday, Nov 13. The emails have notified at least 100,000 inboxes. One of the emails reported to be a warning from the Department of Homeland Security that the recipient would be the target of a “sophisticated” attack.

The real DHS Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency made no warning.

The FBI released a statement, saying, “The FBI and CISA are aware of the incident this morning involving fake emails from an @ic.fbi.gov email account.” It went on to say this was an “ongoing situation” and that the “impacted hardware was taken offline quickly upon discovery of the issue.”

The FBI said Sunday that someone had gotten ahold of the software misconfiguration to send the emails using an IT system the FBI uses to communicate with local and state law enforcement. The FBI also mentioned that this did not impact its main computer network.

Cybersecurity analysts were concerned that fake alerts could cause widespread concern among the organizations affected. The incident also worsened the work the FBI and DHS are doing to build trust with non-government organizations.

Though this isn’t the first time scammers have impersonated law enforcement, this is the first incident involving FBI email addresses.

Last year, Russian hackers hacked the phones of people in Eastern Europe, accusing them of possession of illicit pornographic material and claimed their personal information had been forwarded to the FBI. The hackers demanded $500 to unlock the phones.

World News

Children in Belarus-Poland Border Crisis Face Shelterless Nights

A group of small fires in a Belarusian forest are causing people to cough and choke because of burning wet wood. However, it’s the only way to warm up as temperatures drop.

This week, temperatures will drop severely and rain is also in the forecast. With winter coming, hope is slowly getting out of reach for the 2,000 people along the Bruzgi-Kuznica border crossing Belarus from Poland. Of this population, 200 are children and 600 are women, some being only babies or toddlers.

Migrants, most of whom are from the Middle East and Asia, are looking to illegally cross into Poland in search of a better life.

A few people luckily have small tents, and others made shelters from the branches and other resources around the forest. In their way is a razor wire fence constructed and guarded by Poland police, border guards, and soldiers.

The immigrants have been waiting for weeks to try to cross the border. With hypothermia at risk and some having died due to colder weather, there’s been a sense of anger and frustration in the air.

Pictures show minimal structures to support the thousands gathered at the camps, with only two small water tanks and no toilet facilities visible.

The Belarusian Red Cross delivers food and water, but migrants shared with news outlets that the deliveries are “insufficient and uncertain.” Belarusian state border officials estimated the number of people in the border region would increase to 5,000 within a week.

Politics

Biden Urged to Pass Economic Bill to Combat Inflation

President Joe Biden’s top economic adviser noted a rising inflation in the U.S. as a reason for Congress to pass President Biden’s economic package. They argued that legislation would help combat the rising prices of consumer goods.

Inflation is estimated to go back below the 2% level which is considered normal, reaching this level in 2022.

“We are very committed to do everything we can to make sure that American consumers don’t bear the brunt of high gas prices and volatile energy prices and the President has made clear that all options are on the table.” said Brian Deese, director of the National Economic Council.

Business

Pay Me in Bitcoin

Cryptocurrency gained popularity in recent years, and more people are willing to get their paycheck and other benefits from bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies.

Everyone from famous athletes and politicians to everyday employees are getting their hands on cryptocurrency.

In the sports industry, the Sacramento Kings will become the first major sports franchise to offer employees and players a bitcoin payment option.

Major companies like Paypal and Microsoft are accepting payments in bitcoin.

Are you considering getting paid in bitcoin? There are plenty of questions to consider such as: Who is paying in bitcoin? How do I get paid in bitcoin? What are the pros and cons? Is it right for me?

Companies like Strike, Choice, and BitPay offer cryptocurrency payroll, invoicing, or other benefits. Companies will typically pay a 1% fee in the payroll process.

To get paid, you will need a cryptocurrency wallet. From there, users have different services of converting paychecks into crypto.

Though having cryptocurrencies can be fun and beneficial, it can also make taxes tricky, as this is considered “property” according to the IRS.

Knowing the answers to these questions will help you make the best decision for you as to whether or not you should consider the cryptocurrency payment.

Health

Post-COVID-19 Era: What Could That Look Like?

The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 will never fully go away, but there will be a day where the world is no longer fighting a pandemic. Experts predict the spread will look and feel like the seasonal flu.

No one can predict what and when there will be a future without the COVID-19 pandemic, but the emergence of variants, such as Delta, shifted that timeline.

In the future, it will be possible to track the spread of SARS-CoV-2 similarly to how the flu is tracked. There is no timeline for when it will start being monitored, but most respirator viruses behave as seasonal events, so it should give some indication of how to track it.

The transition from the pandemic will go to something called an endemic, which means a disease has a constant presence in a population but it will not affect an alarmingly large number of people.

As explained by Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, pandemics have phases.

“You’re in the pandemic phase, and then you have a deceleration phase, then you have a control phase, then hopefully you’ll have elimination and maybe eradication,” Fauci said.

With ramped up vaccination efforts, there might be a reasonable period of time where the world can get to the endemic phase. Health officials are weighing options on how to monitor the end of the pandemic and how to continue tracking the virus once it becomes an endemic.

In order to get to that point, the nation has to build up immunity to the coronavirus. This means more of the population needs to be vaccinated. With refusals to get vaccinated and even refusals to wear masks, the transition could take more time than necessary.

Currently, roughly 58% of the US population is fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To achieve herd immunity, 80-90% of the population would need to be fully vaccinated or have had infection. This is achievable and sporadic outbreaks are normal. But the battle to combat the coronavirus may start to look like that of the influenza virus.

The CDC collaborates with health departments, labs, hospitals, and healthcare providers to track diagnosed flu cases. An idea is that once the pandemic becomes an endemic, a similar style of monitoring the virus could be used.

There will be cases with both viruses, but the goal is to get COVID-19 to the same lower degree of severity as the influenza virus.

Entertainment

Taylor Swift Releases Rerecorded ‘Red’

Swifties can rejoice once again in the beloved 2012 heartbreak album, “Red.”

On Friday, Taylor Swift released her rerecorded acclaimed album, “Red,” which is a major turning point for Swift to regain ownership of her early music.

“Red” originally had 16 tracks, but “Red (Taylor’s Version)” has 30 tracks, including a 10-minute fan favorite, “All Too Well.” The album includes collaborations with Phoebe Bridgers, Gary Lightbody, Ed Sheeran, and Chris Stapleton. It also includes nine tracks that didn’t make the final 2012 album.

“Red (Taylor’s Version)” is the second in a multi-album series for Swift. In April earlier this year, she landed at the top of the Billboard 200 chart with “Fearless (Taylor’s Version).” Swift will be revisiting a number of other albums, including her self-titled debut album released in 2006 and “1989” released in 2014.

One album that will be released later is one of Swift’s more recent internationally successful albums, “reputation,” released in 2017.

“reputation” will be in production later because of a common clause that states songs can’t be rerecorded until “the later of two years following the expiration of the agreement or five years after the commercial release,”

Technically, she can begin re-recording in November 2022.

Swift is making history with the release of “Red (Taylor’s Version),” breaking the record for most streams for an album in a day by a female artist and most streams for a female in a day ever on Spotify.

Swift announced a surprise music video for “I Bet You Think About Me” for release on YouTube on Nov. 15 at 10 a.m.

Style

Gaga Serves on ‘House of Gucci’ Red Carpet

Lady Gaga served the upmost beauty on the red carpet with a sheer, ultraviolet Gucci look at the London premiere of “House of Gucci” on Tuesday.

Gaga accessorized her look with her signature platform heels and glittery, smoke eyeshadow. She wore a pair of opaque gloves with rainbow jewel pinstripes, as well as netted stockings and nude suspenders.

Gaga tossed her dazzling trailing cape into the air with enough force to create wings as she worked the cameras. Gaga was there to promote her performance as the Italian socialite, Patricia Reggiani.

Gaga’s gown was a fresh piece off of the runway, and appeared for the first time just last week at Gucci’s Love Parade Show in Los Angeles. This event had stars such as Macaulay Culkin, Phoebe Bridgers, and Jared Leto try modeling.

Gaga spoke about preparing for her second major motion picture, with her first starring as Ally in the hit movie A Star is Born. She mentioned how she never broke character as the role of Reggiani, living as the character for nearly a year and a half.

Travel

A Look at the World’s Biggest Yacht

The world’s biggest yacht, totaling $600 million, is set to launch in 2024. The 728 foot Somnio is a luxury yacht that includes 39 “fully customizable,” floating apartments that come with a private balcony or terrace. Some customization options include huge shell-shaped beds, expansive living areas, and wall-length mirrors.

Prices of these rooms start around $11 million. Sizes range from 1,600 to 6,500 square feet and the largest condo takes up most of the top deck.

The Somnio was designed by Winch Design and Tillberg Design of Sweden. The boat will be built by Norwegian ship designer and builder VARD.

A gym, library, inside and outside dining spaces, distinct dressing areas, and a “vast living space with 270-degree forward views” are a few of the amenities of the yacht available. A spa, movie theater, restaurants, and a beach club are more of the fun that residents aboard the ship will enjoy. There will also be a 10,000-bottle capacity wine cellar and tasting room with a lounge located in the ship’s bow.

Owners will remain confidential, however all residents will have access to concierge services on and off the ship. Residents will be charged an annual fee to cover expenses like maintenance, repairs, fuel, and food.

The Somnio has attracted exceptional interest since its unveil earlier in the year. Some apartments have already been sold.

Sports

Australia Triumphant Over New Zealand in T20 World Cup

Australia won its first T20 World Cup title when they beat New Zealand by eight wickets in the final on Sunday.

Australia dominated the game, coming close to the 173 target set by New Zealand. The score was strengthened by 85 by captain Kane Williamson, with David Warner and Mitchell Marsh having a good day as well.

A wicket to Warner gave New Zealand hope, but the power of Marsh catapulted Australia to its target and claim a win.

Australia all-rounder, Marcus Stoinis, had nothing but great things to say about the team’s mentality throughout the game.

“The key is this group of boys, we actually love each other,” said Stoinis. “It is beautiful, I can’t wait to keep playing with this team. I’m so proud of them.”

Australia had success in other forms of cricket besides the short format during the New Zealand matchup, but Australia claims the title in the T20 edition.

This has been Her Campus at Rowan University’s weekly news recap for November 14, 2021. For more information and top stories, please check your local news organization.

she/her - Audacy sports writer - podcaster - love writing about everything