rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 3 Golden Rules to Staying Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Saying goodbye to your parents is hard when you are saying hello to college, but figuring out how to live on your own for the first time can be even harder. The three following tips are suggestions on maintaining a heathy lifestyle despite the stress of exams and the cafeterias tempting junk food. College can really have a powerful effect on your overall mental and physical health. Be aware that there are many resources available to help you cope with your new life. For example, tutoring for extra help, counseling for self-care, mentoring services, etc. Keep in mind that these three golden rules cannot replace the heart health that your new friends and new experiences can bring.

1. Stress is alleviated when you exercise. I know what you are thinking, “This chick is crazy, I need to study not go to the gym,” but a thirty minute jog can help make you feel better prepared for that test. If you don’t feel like running, go on a bike ride or nice walk around the city. This is also a great way to spend time with your new friends without spending money. If you are feeling overwhelmed a great way to reverse gray matter is meditating, the brain can become overloaded by your new college lifestyle. Listen to what makes you feel better.

2. Don’t forget how important your daily dose of veggies and fruits are. Now, more than ever, you are going to be tempted to buy all the unhealthy snacks but be careful. Eat food that make you feel better, not worse. Keep in mind that healthy snacks like bananas, apples, carrots, and orange juice are affordable and easy to devour while walking to class. Are you lacking brain power? Eat fish. Omega 3 oils protect arteries that prolong brain function.

3. If you are thirsty, you are dehydrated. You might be tempted to press the snooze button the morning after a fun party, but do not press it on h20. One of the best ways to stay hydrated is to always carry a refillable bottle. Maintaining your health is easier with free filtered water stations at your convenience throughout campus, take advantage of them! The more you drink, the better you will feel.