This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Water is a way of life. It is something that will play many roles in your body, including maintaining blood pressure, lubricating joints and regulating body temp. I know that it is hard to drink the amount you need everyday and it seems there is just not enough time in the day, so here are a couple ways to get motivated to start drinking more water.

1. Set a Daily Goal 

There are many apps that  can send you reminders. Just a little “hey drink a cup of water” when you wake up. I would highly recommend those. 

2. Hydro Coach –  Set a target intake of water and the app can remind you when to drink. This will help to make sure you reach those goals.

3. Drink Water Tracker Reminder – Set your daily water intake goal and log every ounce (or millimeter) with just a tap. 

4. Figure out your fluid needs

Everyone has different fluid needs. The  general recommendation for daily water intake is about 64 ounces or 8 cups. For most, simply drinking when you need it is enough but, if you are exercising or live in a hot climate, this would be different. So, do a little introspection and see what works for you. 

5. Have a reusable water bottle

When you have  a reusable water bottle, you have a readily available water fountain. It is something that is a really good investment at the end of the day. You would not have to worry about trying to find a place where there is water or if you can find any water bottle to buy. Plus, it is better for the environment than relying on single-use plastic water bottles. 

6. Set Reminders 

Like the apps, setting reminders or alarms on your phone will send you a little alarm or notifications that can even be on your smartwatch. You can try setting reminders to take a few sips every 30 mins or every hour. This will help increase your water intake, especially if you struggle with being forgetful or feel you are just too busy to drink. Be mindful and in the moment. 

7. Replace other drinks with water 

Another way to  boost your health and reduce calorie intake is by making the effort to replace your drinks with water. For example, replacing  drinks that you would usually have, like soda or juice, with water. These types of drinks have added sugars that have a link towards conditions like obesity, diabetes  and heart disease. So, just replacing these sugary drinks with water creates a cheaper and easier way to cut calories which can potentially keep you more healthy in the long run. 

8. Sip throughout the day

My last tip is to try sipping on water consistently during the day. This is a simple way to achieve your goal. Just  having a glass of water or that reusable bottle nearby and within your line of sight, will create a constant visual reminder to have a sip. An added benefit of reaching for a sip of water consistently during the day is keeping your mouth from getting dry and may even help you keep your breath fresher. 

Hey There! I'm Juliana a freshman at Rollins College. I'm just starting to get into professional writing (in college) and can't wait to write for HerCampus!