This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Hot. Girl. Summer. What began as yet another internet trend has now transitioned into something more of a call for all women to step out of their comfort zones and embrace their inner and outer confidence. And what better time than the summer: warm weather, longer days and presumably more time to make an impression. As we approach the summer, it becomes apparent that now is the time to begin preparations for your own “hot girl summer.” However, while there are many steps to achieving the external goals associated with the movement, there are also a few things you can do to make sure that your internal well-being is equally as prepared. 

1. Drink Water    

This may seem like an obvious step to take, but it can sometimes be difficult to remember to drink enough water to ensure that your body is properly hydrated. Drinking a few cups of water a day is not only said to be beneficial for your skin (a plus for achieving all those glowing, sunlit photos), but also for your overall health. Pro-tip: Drink a cup of water first thing in the morning to start your day off feeling refreshed!

2. Exercise

Exercise is not just for getting physically fit, but also for your mental well-being as well. Working out can release both dopamine and endorphins — mood boosting chemicals in the body that leave us feeling happier and healthier. Pro-tip: Exercise doesn’t just mean a trip to the gym! Take a dip in the pool, a jog around the neighborhood, or even have a little dance party! 

3. Take a break from social media 

While posting photos on social media may seem to be a large component of having the perfect “hot girl summer,” it is also important to remember to take some time away from social media as well. Whether that be for a few hours or several days, taking the occasional break from social media can help prevent unhealthy comparisons and other issues related to body image that can interfere with mental well-being. Pro-tip: Set app limitations to avoid spending excessive amounts of time on social media platforms. 

4. Get some sleep

Sleeping may also seem like an obvious step, but it is crucial for revitalizing both the mind and body. Getting an adequate number of hours of sleep helps the body restore itself, leaving you ready to take on whatever the world has in store for you. 

5. Treat Yourself… by online shopping 

While your bank account may not necessarily be happy with this one, treating yourself to a new bikini (or whatever you feel the most confident in) will definitely get you in the spirit for hot girl summer. 

6. Relax!

While that may be easier said than done, “hot girl summer” is whatever you make of it and should not be something that causes additional stress. It’s about feeling your best from the inside out. So take a few deep breaths, blast your favorite summer tunes, and spend the next few weeks before summer getting into a positive, confident mindset. 

Demi Robbins

Rochester '23

Hello! I'm Demi, a current sophomore at the University Of Rochester from Dallas, Texas. I am planning on double majoring in English and Political Science. In my free time I love to hang out with friends, write, adventure, and sip on chai tea lattes.