rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Not-So-Glamorous Self-Care Things Everyone Should Be Doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

There are a ton of things that can be considered self-care. It’s a bit of an umbrella term that can encompass a million very different things. Unfortunately, most people just think of self-care as doing a face mask, having a bubble bath, or getting a massage. Don’t get me wrong, those are all awesome! I highly recommend that you find little things like that to pamper yourself. But, a big part of self-care is making sure that you are healthy and functional enough to do the things that you need to do. So, here are five much less popular but so very important self-care tips:

1. If you have prescription medication or daily supplements, make sure that you take them.

Taking your necessary pills is much less glamorous than that seven-step face routine, but it is so much more important! If you need anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants, please, please, take them regularly. You can set multiple reminders on your phone, post up some bright sticky notes, ask a friend or family member to remind you daily, or some combo of all of these. Just find the way that works for you and keep doing it!

2. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep

As a night owl myself, I get the desire to stay up really late. Not only is it just my natural state, but I also absolutely love that feeling that usually comes at night. You feel like your time is all your own and no one can demand anything of you. If that’s one of the reasons you’re not going to sleep when you should, all I can say is that it may be time to try to intentionally make a time like that during your day. That way, you can still get to bed when you need to and sleep at regular intervals for the recommended amount of time. Issues like anxiety and depression get so much worse when you haven’t slept well!

3. Pick up a hobby

Whether it be drawing, playing an instrument, knitting, or collecting rare stamps, everyone needs a hobby. This will help you get out nervous energy in a constructive and productive way. That said, as much as I love reading and watching TV, those don’t count here, as they are not really constructive. You want to be letting what’s inside out, not just taking more in.

4. Keep up with the important people in your life

This one may not make a lot of sense, but trust me on this one! If you are an anxious person, keeping updated on your loved ones can help you feel reassured that they are ok when your anxious brain tries to say otherwise. And if you are depressed, then keeping in close contact with your loved ones helps you realize that you are important, loved, and cared for, regardless of whatever your depression tries to tell you!

5. Get out of your room

For real, this is a big one. I am a huge homebody, so I like staying in, watching a movie, and reading a good book. Sometimes, if left to my own devices, I’ll stay in my room/dorm for a whole day without leaving. Please don’t do this! Try to make it a habit to get out at least two or three times a day. If not for work or school, go take a walk! Fresh air may not be a cure-all, but it certainly does help!

A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram