This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Recently, I’ve really taken up walking. I used to think of walking not as a hobby or a tool for self love, but as an ineffective way of getting places—an activity a busy university student couldn’t afford to engage in. If I was going to exercise, I’d run since walking wasn’t intense enough. If I wanted to do my favourite hobby I’d figure skate or read a good book. Walking is something I do every day, like breathing—it definitely wasn’t a hobby. If I wanted to work on myself and practice self love, I’d journal or eat my favourite foods without guilt. Walking wasn’t going to help me with that, right?

shallow focus photography of person walking on road between grass
Photo by ARek Adeoye from Unsplash
Then, a few months ago I started walking almost everyday for about 25 minutes to visit my SO. I knew as soon as winter hit I’d have to lock my bike away and walk. Every day. For 25 minutes. In the cold. By myself. All the while my school work would be piling on my desk. I wasn’t looking forward to it. I was dreading it.

During winter break, I met a girl who walks every day for two hours by herself with no music on—and not as a commute. I was shocked. How could she afford to go on two hour walks and why would she want to do that? I started to think about how my 25 minute walk could be so much more than an ineffective long commute. It could be exercise and a time to be with myself with no distractions. Walking could be a hobby AND get me places—the whole package. 

The background are leaves with the hot pink neon sign "breathe"
Photo by Fabian Moller from Unsplash
I started my commutes with this new perspective in mind and it was a game changer. If I’m stressed when I leave, I’m happy and relaxed when I arrive home. I get the chance to disconnect every day and walk with my feelings, my thoughts, and myself. I don’t even have to schedule in time to practice self-love, de-stress, or exercise. The opportunity always arises by itself because I always have somewhere to go. 

Now I have a new philosophy: instead of taking the time to sit with myself, I must strive to walk with myself every day. It allows me to work on myself and have some alone time while exercising and going places. If you’ve never tried it, I truly recommend it!

Camila Mercado

Queen's U '22

Camila is a third year student in Global Development and Psychology at Queen's University. She enjoys figure skating, learning new languages and advocating for mental health on campus!
HC Queen's U contributor