self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Maintaining Your Mental Health During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As humans, we are hard-wired to want certainty—we want to know the who, what, why and how of each situation we encounter and to concretely know the outcomes. Since the coming of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, certainty of most things have been shaken and jeopardized. We have seen numerous changes over the past weeks and can expect more to come as the virus continues to readily evolve, and our healthcare system works tirelessly to provide us with newly-discovered information each day. 

For teenagers and students, these changes mean online courses, missing out on in-class interactions with friends as well as not being able to discuss assignments with professors and TAs. It also means missing out on some bigger moments, like convocation, formals, ceremonies and final goodbyes (my heart goes out to you, class of 2020). For adults, it might mean being laid off from work, juggling finances and trying to educate their children from home. It might also mean caring for their parents, preparing to have a baby while in fear of the current situation, or having to postpone a wedding that’s consumed months of tireless planning. Regardless of how, it’s important to remember that we are all being affected by the virus in many ways. We aren’t all being impacted necessarily the same, however; we need to be kind to one another and appreciate that each person is experiencing a great amount of change to their life in one degree or another.  

One change that we all share in common is the introduced ruling of social distancing. Staying in touch and having social interaction in our daily lives is vital to a healthy lifestyle in many aspects. Therefore, the implications of social distancing on mental health cannot be overlooked. Unquestionably, social distancing poses a threat not only to individuals who struggle with pre-existing poor mental health but also to those who appear to be in good psychological health.  You may be distancing yourself with family at home, or perhaps with your housemates at school. Others may be isolated and undergoing this experience alone. In all honesty, no matter the situation you’re in, you’re going to grow tired of it (if you haven’t already). Days will drag on and you will feel sluggish and bummed out, probably a little anxious as you await the next update. These feelings risk the upkeep of your positivity and may cause your mental health to inevitably slip. Though no one knows for certain what is to come, it’s important to be grateful for what you have in the present moment. As we do not have a definitive timeline, keeping yourself distracted to maintain sanity will become increasingly important in the coming weeks. Below are some ideas on how to make the most of your days spent during social isolation. 

Establish a Routine

I know this one might seem ‘blah,’ but implementing a schedule for yourself will give you meaning and purpose each day. Try to wake up and go to sleep at the same time. Make your bed when you get up and change out of your pajamas. Sit outside and enjoy a morning coffee. End the day by reading a book. Break up your day and allocate time for activities. This will help the time pass and will make you feel more productive. Routines give us structure and will provide guidance for the ample amount of time on our hands.

Get Outside

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay
Take this opportunity to get outside. Make a point to get fresh air each day and get active. There is plentiful amounts of literature to support the science behind being outside and physical activity with positive health outcomes and longevity. This could mean taking your dog for a walk or getting creative with an outdoor workout. Give yourself a purpose to get out and get moving each day.  

Start a Journal

If you don’t already, start to keep a daily journal. These can range from a 5-minute entry you do each morning or a lengthy reflection each night. For me, I have a 2-minute journal that I complete each morning with my coffee. It helps me make the most of my day by getting my thoughts and ideas out on paper—both good and bad. It helps me reflect on what I’m grateful for, visualize my goals for the day, and let go of things that are holding me back. Keeping a journal cultivates mental clarity and clears emotions. This can be especially helpful if you are feeling anxious, stressed or scared during this time.  

Get Creative

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels
Now is the time to channel your inner child! Think of ways to stay busy and switch up the activities to keep things from feeling monotonous. Bust out that puzzle that’s been collecting dust in your closet for years or get crafty with some paint or construction paper. Grab an old guitar and pull up a YouTube tutorial. Learn a new card game and teach your family. Try a recipe from your grandmother’s cookbook. Combat boredom and use this time as an opportunity to try something new.

Stay Connected with Distant Family and Friends

Though we need to be social distancing, we can still stay connected with each other virtually. Remember that we are all in this together and need to support each other. Check up on your loved ones, especially those who may live alone. They are probably feeling isolated and would appreciate hearing your voice. Though it’s not the same as getting together, a phone call or FaceTime with friends can help boost your mood if you’re feeling down and just need a laugh or want to catch up. Take advantage of the ways we are able to stay connected. It will come to value both you and your loved ones. 

You Are What You Eat

Just because you may be stuck at home all day doesn’t mean you should treat this time as a ‘vacation’ and have a free-for-all when it comes to eating. Fuel your body with nutritious foods to keep your immune system in top condition. Not only does eating mindfully keep us physically well, but it also makes us feel better. When we are conscious of the foods we use to feed ourselves, we can monitor our energy levels. Eating good feels good. Consume regularly throughout the day and stick to meal and snack times. Don’t open a bag of chips at 6 pm and call it ‘dinner.’ Eating patterns as such will lead you to feel sluggish and low on energy. Also remember to stay hydrated!

Be Mindful of How You Follow the Outbreak on Social Media

It’s important to stay informed on what’s happening in the world, especially speaking specifically to COVID-19. Updates are occurring constantly and we, of course, want to know what is going on and how we are being affected. It is, however, important to be mindful of how you follow the outbreak in the media. Today, almost anyone can get behind a keyboard and post anything about everything. This is how rumours and false information circulate. There are numerous unreliable sources that exist that not only can provide inaccurate information, but can cause added unnecessary stress. Pay attention to the sources that you see and read everything with an analytical perspective. This being said, you also shouldn’t necessarily be refreshing the COVID-19 case-counter page every hour either. Again, it’s important to stay in touch with the situation; however, be smart and reasonable about it and how often you do so. Frequently checking social media may only worsen any feelings of panic or anxiety. 

Stay Positive

women in black tshirt with denim jacket smiling outside
Photo by Jose G. Ortega Castro from Unsplash
Though this may go without saying, staying positive during this time is essential. Again, I know it seems redundant to say “Keep positive!” but what I really mean is to use this as an opportunity to discover a silver lining. There are often hidden blessings and gifts behind unfortunate events, and having a positive mindset will help you see the light in your current situation. Maybe you’ll come to appreciate spending extra time with family you haven’t seen since Christmas. For parents, it’s a bit of extra time at home with their kids before they send them off to college in the fall. Or for those who work crazy hours throughout the week, this is a chance to enjoy dinner as a family and tuck their kids in bed. Maybe this situation will give you a chance to catch up with yourself and enjoy a bit of solitude. It’s time to look on the bright side and recognize the opportunities we have. Find gratitude in what you do have and what you are able to do. Take each day in stride and value each moment as it comes. 

Darien Ahola

Queen's U '21

Darien is a fourth year student majoring in Health Studies at Queen's University. She enjoys going to the gym, watching The Office and plentiful amounts of Starbuck's Blonde Roast coffee (black, of course!)
HC Queen's U contributor