This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The 2024 Grammy Awards was one to remember, especially for women.

This year, female artists from several genres dominated when it came to taking home the iconic golden trophy.

The music industry, since the beginning of time, has been known to be heavily male-dominated, which is a topic that has raised a lot of discussion in recent years.

Women are underrepresented when it comes to the production process and other areas of the industry. This is even more evident if these women are considered a part of an even smaller minority.

According to Billboard, in the past 10 years, women have only made up 13.6% of Grammy nominees across the “Big Four” categories (Best New Artist, Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year). Billboard’s data also showed that women are represented even less when it comes to being producers, with the Grammys recognizing only 1.9% of women over the last 10 years.

How sad is that?

This year’s Grammys were different.

This year, women swept in almost all major categories, excluding Producer of the Year. Women also won smaller categories such as Best R&B Song and Pop Solo Performance. When it came to nominations, Album, Record and Song of the Year categories were just about all female nominees.

The winners of the Big Four categories this year included Victoria Monét (Best New Artist), Taylor Swift (Album of the Year), Billie Eilish (Song of the Year) and Miley Cyrus (Record of the Year). Other female artists who won in smaller categories included boygenius, Coco Jones, Karol G and Paramore.

Post from the Recording Academy’s Instagram

In case you missed it, Swift announced her new 13th studio album titled “Tortured Poets Department” upon her win of Best Pop Vocal Album.

By the end of the night, she also broke the record for winning the most Album of the Year awards in Grammy history. She was previously tied with Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon who all have won it three times.

Her final win last night bumped her up to winning the award four times, making her the first woman in history to achieve this honor.

On the other hand, Cyrus won her first-ever Grammy Award for Best Pop Solo Performance, and then won her second for Record of the Year. She, of course, followed up the big win by performing her 2023 hit, “Flowers.” She even went as far as calling out the audience for not singing along with the song (iconic).

Women are taking the music industry by storm, rightfully so.

They’re starting to unapologetically be themselves through their work, and speaking up for equality in music. Some of the women (nominated and winners) at the Grammys are new artists in the industry, which is why it’s all the more incredible to witness what they’re achieving.

These women are paving the way for young girls of future generations. Keep an eye out for some of these artists because they’re becoming the new faces of music.

I cannot wait to see the shift the music industry will be making when it comes to bringing more women to the table.

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!