This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s around that time of the year where it seems like everyone is chattering over their predictions for who will win big at the 2024 Grammy Awards.

On Nov. 10, the Recording Academy released the list of 2024’s Grammy nominations, and as usual, there were some surprises.

Although it’s cool to see everyone who wins, there are a couple categories that music fans really have their eyes on. There are famously four categories that people in or out of the music industry pay attention to, with these categories are called the “Big Four.” These categories are made up by Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist.

This year, a lot of the same musicians are nominated for multiple categories, with some having more of a chance of winning than others.

If you’re planning on watching the awards show, be prepared for a stressful night!

In the mean time, here are my predictions for who will take home Grammy’s for the Big Four, as well as who I want to win.

Album of the year

Nominees:

• “World Music Radio” by Jon Batiste
  • “the record” by boygenius
  • “Endless Summer Vacation” by Miley Cyrus
  • “Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Ray
  • “The Age Of Pleasure” by Janelle Monae
  • GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Midnights” by Taylor Swift
  • “SOS” by SZA

This year SZA and Taylor Swift are the front-runnings for some of these more major categories.

I think that SZA has a significant chance of taking some of these larger categories, while Swift sweeps some of the smaller categories.

SZA has garnered all of the hype this past year surrounding her 2022 album “SOS“, which led to her several Grammy nominations. Although competition is fairly tough this year, my prediction is that she’ll take home the Grammy for album of the year.

Prediction: “SOS” by SZA.

Record of the year

Nominees:

• “Worship” by Jon Batiste
  • “Not Strong Enough” by boygenius
  • “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus
  • “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish & FINNEAS
  • “On My Mama” by Victoria Monet
  • “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift
  • “Kill Bill” by SZA

This one was a no-brainer for me.

I think that FINNEAS and Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” will win record of the year.

This is also a song that I’m hoping will win, especially due to its impact and beautiful writing. The song was featured in Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” movie, and after its release it instantly shot to popularity.

This anthem’s lyrics are some of the most beautiful lyrics written for a movie, which is why it was highly praised amongst fans, music industry professionals and the media.

Prediction: “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish & FINNEAS

song of the year

Nominees:

• “A&W” by Jack Antonoff, Lana Del Ray & Sam Drew
  • “Anti-Hero” by Jack Antonoff & Taylor Swift
  • “Butterfly” by Jon Batiste & Dan Wilson
  • “Dance The Night” by Caroline Ailin, Dua Lipa, Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt
  • “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus, Gregory Aldae Hein & Michael Pollack
  • “Kill Bill” by Rob Bisel, Carter Lang & Solana Rowe
  • “Vampire” by Dan Nigro & Olivia Rodrigo

This is definitely the category that could go to anyone. Just about all of the these songs were incredibly popular at one point this year.

It wouldn’t be the Grammys without Miss Taylor Swift winning one of the majors. I think that if she were to get her hands on one of the big-time grammies, it would be Song of the Year.

With all of the attention her Era’s Tour has gained this past year, “Anti-Hero” is still very much prevalent in peoples lives even with it coming out over a year ago.

Prediction: “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift

best new artist

Nominees:

• Gracie Abrams
  • Fred again..
  • Ice Spice
  • Jelly Roll
  • Coco Jones
  • Noah Kahan
  • Victoria Monet
  • The War And Treaty

This was a tricky one.

I think that ultimately Ice Spice will take home the Grammys for best new artist.

She has gained a lot of attention in the past year or so based on collaborating with seasoned artists and, therefore gained a level of respect from industry professionals. She was also nominated and won Best New Artist at the 2023 VMA’s back in Sept.

Unfortunately it seems like majority of the talented artists nominated, such as Noah Kahan, will be snubbed this year.

Prediction: Ice Spice

Who I think should win: Noah Kahan

If you’re as excited for this year’s Grammys Awards as I am, make sure to tune in on Feb. 4, 2024 at 8 p.m. EST.

Who do you think will win in this year’s “Big Four” categories?

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!