Wellness > Health

Five Tips for Getting Your Workout in While Remaining Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

I know for me with COVID going on, I have been somewhat scared to even attempt to go to the gym. Let’s not even mention the fact that you have to workout with your mask on. I literally am heaving running on the treadmill with no mask, so having to wear a mask makes that two mile run basically impossible. COVID also has made it very easy for me to have an excuse to skip that daily grind, but after realizing that my pants that fit me a week ago no longer fit, I figure that it’s time to actually attempt to get in shape. 

Woman in Mask Virus
Photo by Dimitri Karastelev on Unsplash

1.Skip the gym all together and do an at home workout 

It is a common misconception that in order to be fit, healthy, and in shape, you have to go to the gym.  Take it from popular fitness youtubers such as Chloe Ting, Casey Ho, and many others, who literally all have six packs, that you don’t need to spend an hour on the treadmill to get those results! You can workout right in your dorm room or apartment as long as you have enough space to do those burpees!!

indoor yoga
Zen Bear Yoga via splash

2.Go outside and get your grind on 

Fall is the perfect time to workout outside. It isn’t the arctic tundra yet, but it also isn’t 800 degrees anymore. Go to a local park, a track, or basically anywhere that has grass and get that grind on!! Bonus is that you can stay far away from people and don’t have to worry about using equipment that may or may not have been wiped down before you. 

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay

3.Buy weights and other equipment for super cheap 

You don’t need to go to the gym to use equipment. You can typically find equipment such as weights and bands from your local TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Dick’s Sporting Goods! Skip that expensive gym membership and buy equipment for cheap! 

weights
Pixabay via Pexels

4.Join intramurals or find a small group to workout with 

I know for me, I have a difficult time getting motivated to workout if I don’t have someone pushing me. Doing an at home or outdoor workout with friends can make it so much more fun than doing it on your own!! Club sports are iffy this semester with COVID, but if you’re able to get together a small intramural team, this can help you to meet new people as well as have others to push you to complete the workout! 

Kayla Bacon-Obstacle Course 3
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

5.Make sure that you are remaining safe if you do decide to go to the gym 

If you do decide to go to the gym at your school or your at home gym, make sure that you are maintaining 6 feet of distance between you and others, sanitizing all equipment before and after using it, and that you are wearing a mask at all times! I suggest wearing one of the surgical masks as they are more breathable than the cotton ones, and can easily be disposed of after a sweaty workout! 

Woman deadlifting
Pixabay

Stay safe and enjoy your workout!

Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.