This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

This semester there has been a lot of changes (and I’m not just talking about the leaves) -we have a brand new Recreation and Wellness Center, The Cove (or now called “The Pilot House”) is back open and running, and there are a lot of renovations happening on campus. Change is great and UP is on the rise! With all of this newness (especially for freshmen) many people might feel like they haven’t found their “niche”. I think one of the most important things in college is trying new things and really finding yourself. You don’t know (what you like) until you try. So get out of your comfort zone and try one of the many different activites around campus!

1. Beauchamp Center

The Beauchamp Center is our new Recreation and Wellness Center (which is great because, if you couldn’t tell from the creaky floors, Howard was getting old..). However, Howard isn’t completely closed! For all of you swimmers out there, the pool is open for swimming laps! –and no Californians, walking in the rain is not considered swimming. Aside from the totally non-creepy pool in Howard, Beauchamp has a number of things to do! First off, it’s a recreation center, so you have so many workout options to do from running laps to weight lifting. You name it, we’ve got it. If you don’t like running on a hamster wheel –er, I mean treadmill, there are some fun things you can do with your friends! You can take a spin class, do some yoga, join an intramural sports team, and there’s even a dance room to show off your sick moves! For more information on programs and activities check out http://www.up.edu/recservices/

2. The Pilot House

Yes, the long awaited Pilot House has reopened! Pilots After Dark is back with a great late night menu (yes, this means quesadillas)! For all you music lovers, this new and improved Pilots After Dark is to feature new local bands, so stop by and discover some new music. Also, after the new renovations there is a new pub vibe going on. For all who are over 21 there is now a bar on campus!

3. Mago Hunt

If you’re like me, you’ve probably seen this building when walking from the parking lot to Franz, and you’ve probably read it as “mango”. I really hope I’m not the only one. Well, this building is more than just something [we] often misread. It hosts a number of performances that include things such as theatre, music, and dance. If you’re one who enjoys the fine arts, I would suggest going to a show. Most are free for students! Go directly to Mago Hunt to see what events are going on.

I encourage you to try something new this week! Invite a classmate or someone who lives down the hall from you! You never know (what you like) until you try.