This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It’s been one week since daylight savings time began, and if you’re anything like me, you still haven’t adjusted to it. Now that the days are getting shorter and it’s getting darker earlier, it can be easy to fall into an exhaustion-induced coma and lose that motivation you’ve been working on all semester. Fear not, however, because here are some solid tips on how to keep from falling behind (GET IT?):

Keep Setting Your Alarm

Studies have shown that waking up at the same time every morning is more beneficial to your sleep quality than going to bed at the same time each evening. So even if you don’t have 8:10 classes, setting your alarm for 8:10 every day will help you stay in the rhythm.

Exercise

Early nights and cold, rainy weather can make you want to curl up under a pile of blankets and never move, but keeping yourself active can shake that sleepy feeling. Simple things like taking the stairs and going on walks are quick ways to stay energized throughout the day, and signing up for classes at the Beauchamp Center is an easy method to improve your motivation.

Regular Eating Hours

If it’s 6pm and you’re lagging, don’t reach for caffeine if you’re not used to it. Introducing caffeine and other stimulants late in the day can quickly throw off your alertness and seriously screw up your sleeping schedule, regardless of how dark it is outside. Power naps are a great way to keep an early-evening slump from ruining your study session. And while we’re on the subject, be sue you’re eating plenty of fruits and vegetables – they contain plenty of energizing vitamins, including Vitamin D, which can be scarce once the clouds come out around here.

Enjoy the sunlight

Portland can be a rainy, dreary place this time of year, but on those rare days that the sun does come out, take advantage of it and soak up the daylight hours! Good old-fashioned fresh air and natural light are prime ways to adjust your body to the changing solar cycle.

And just remember, if none of these work out for you: your body will eventually naturally adjust…just in time to turn the clocks forward in spring!