Top Five Smoothie Recipes for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Even though it’s only the beginning of spring, the word on every persons’ mind right now is SUMMER. Summer vacation cannot come fast enough. Channel that summertime feeling through these five tried and true smoothie recipes!

1.Pina Colada 

Combine 1 cup of frozen pineapple chunks, ¼ cup of coconut milk, ½ tablespoon of unsweetened coconut, ¼ cup of milk, ¼ cup of vanilla yogurt, and a handful of ice in a blender and blend until you have the thickness you desire. You can also try adding other fruits such as strawberry or mango to change it up from the classic piña colada, or for our 21 and overcrowd- add a little rum!

2.Orange Creamsicle

This simple recipe is incredibly popular, and it reminds me of eating creamsicles from the ice cream truck when I was a kid. Although this recipe does not use fresh oranges, you could substitute them for the orange juice. In a blender, combine 1 and ½ cups of orange juice, ½ cup of milk, a frozen banana cut into pieces, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and ice — then blend. For a thicker smoothie, add more ice.

3.Strawberry Kiwi

Although we call this a strawberry kiwi smoothie, it features three types of berries for a healthy antioxidant boost! Combine 1 cup frozen strawberries, ¾ cups frozen raspberries, ½ cup frozen blueberries, 2 kiwi fruits that have been peeled and sliced, and a cup of orange juice in a blender. Blend until your preferred thickness is reached. I personally frequent farmer’s markets, so I use fresh strawberries in this recipe.

4. Cucumber, Mango, Avocado

This smoothie is the greenest smoothie on this list and packs in fiber and nutrients. This cool-tasting concoction is a great meal replacement if you’re on the go, and it’s also a refreshing change from strong tropical flavors. Combine 2 cups of frozen mango, a sliced cucumber, a chopped stalk of celery, ½ of an avocado, 1 and ½ cups of fresh coconut water and a cup of spinach in a blender and blend. For an extra boost, I recommend adding some quinoa or chia seeds!

5. Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberry lemonade is one of my favorite summer drinks and it makes an even better smoothie! You can use fresh strawberries when they’re in season or use frozen to experience a little summer treat any time of the year. In a blender, add 3 cups of strawberries (fresh or frozen), ½ cup of sugar, ½ cup of vanilla yogurt, and 2/3 cup lemon juice. Instead of sugar, I use honey or agave nectar to sweeten the drink.

Happy blending!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt