This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s the time of year where people are looking forward to achieving their best fitness for the approaching summer season. Many are heading to the gym to be ready for the beach as many have coined it as preparing for their “hot girl summer.” However, going to the gym isn’t always easy, and can be rather intimidating, especially if it’s your first time going or first time being back after an extended break. Here are a few tips to help manage anxiety that comes with going to the gym! 

Wear something you’re comfortable in

For me, in order to even get in the mood to go to the gym, I’ve got to find the best workout fit. That outfit consists of leggings and an oversized tee. For others, it can be completely different, which is totally okay! Getting dressed in a good outfit can set the tone for your workout, and honestly get you in mindspace to get ready to get some gains! It’s sometimes hard to feel comfortable in your skin, especially when working out, but finding something to wear that fits you best, can ease those anxious thoughts. 

Listen To Music

Another thing that helps me relax at the gym is a pair of headphones and music. If you don’t have a workout playlist somewhere on your Spotify or Apple Music, this is your sign to get one!  Instead of focusing on the chaos that your gym holds, listening to music allows you to hone in on the exercises that you are doing. Once my workout playlist begins, I find myself zoning out on what’s going on around me, and focusing on the workout I have planned. Listening to music has helped me so much when it comes to my gym anxiety. Instead of worrying about what others may be thinking about me, having my volume up and workout music playing, I just continue on with my workout. If music isn’t your thing, you can always listen to podcasts or just watch some videos!

Don’t compare yourself to others

I know this sounds easier than it actually is, but truthfully this is so crucial to handling your anxiety when it comes to the gym. When it comes to my anxiety, I find it especially hard to not worry about what others are thinking about me as I go about my workout routine. Looking at all of the other people completing tons of different exercises, I find myself wishing I looked like them, had better form like them or even could lift as much as them. However, this line of thinking has only made my anxiety worse. Pairing that with the anxious thoughts of worrying about what others are thinking about me, my anxiety just skyrockets once I enter the threshold into the gym. The gym is what you make of it, so don’t worry about what others are doing and comparing them to yourself, but instead just focus on the workout at hand, that’s all that matters!

Don’t Judge Yourself Based On Your Progress

Let’s be honest, we all find ourselves judging ourselves, especially when it comes to fitness and working out. We are our worst critics afterall. However, when it comes to our bodies and the gym, there is even more criticism to face. When people choose to work out, they are looking for certain solutions; most of the time it being feeling healthier and fitter. However, if we don’t get those results that we are looking for, we become disappointed which turns into harsh behavior to ourselves. This, however, is not the right route to go. Fitness takes time, and everyone’s fitness journey is their own, and not all are the same. Another facet is the idea that progress takes time, and doesn’t always heed the results we want in the time frame we want. It’s okay if your results take time, and it’s okay if your results are coming as fast as you would like. Just because you may not be getting the results you want doesn’t mean you aren’t trying your best to receive them. Don’t let your stress and anxiety think you’re not doing enough or good enough just because your progress is taking longer to show.  Be proud of your fitness journey, and just let it take its course! 

Going to the gym can be a huge step to take, especially with the intimidating factor that the gym holds. However, don’t let the fear of the gym stop you from going entirely. Hopefully with these tips, we can fight our way through the anxiety that the gym brings and work towards our fitness goals!

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!