kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Reframe Your New Year’s Resolutions and Make Them Achievable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Every January, it seems like the gyms are packed and most people are on a diet. Here we go again: it’s time for everyone to start their resolutions. By February, there will be a significant decrease in the number of people at the gym. It can be discouraging to be surrounded by people who are trying to make a ginormous change in their life in one day.

Photo Credit: Unknown via ThePerfect105

Why not try our own “New Year’s Resolutions,” but with a twist? I like to set intentions, not resolutions, and they can be at any time of the year. Here’s the best part: you don’t have to automatically change your habits for the rest of your life. That’s way too overwhelming, and your chances of success might be lower if you have a day where you’re not as motivated.

Instead of “I will to go to the gym every day” when you’ve never worked out in your life, try baby steps like “I want to workout twice a week in January.” At the end of the month, check in with yourself. Do you think you could make it a habit for February and March, too? Maybe even up it to three times a week? To help yourself out, try printing out a fitness calendar or make one yourself. It’s a cute way to hold yourself accountable, and looking at the month on paper can help make everything look more realistic.

Photo Credit: Unknown via Pinterest

Instead of “I will go vegan in 2020,” try substituting meat for plant-based proteins for three meals a week in January. Again, check in with yourself for February. You can find little ways like this to alter all resolutions!

You are far more likely to succeed with your intentions if you are less harsh on yourself. If you mess up one time, it isn’t over. In fact, there are no rules. You are in charge of your own progress, and any backward steps are okay. Actually, setbacks are expected.

Avoid “black and white” thinking, where one setback will make you say, “everything is ruined now,” and give up. Instead, celebrate yourself for the small steps you are taking forward. Ask a friend or family member to help you out. Let them know you have a goal you really want to reach, and that you may need some help getting motivated along the way.

Another way you can make achieving your goals more realistic is to be specific. Instead of vaguely saying, “I want to eat healthy in 2020,” try making it a goal to meal-prep each week. Or try to eat fruit and vegetables every day and track how many cups of water you drink. You can achieve anything by planning ahead.

Lastly, New Year’s “Resolutions” are ten times more fun when making a vision board. Plus, you are more likely to achieve your goals when you are looking at them.  

Photo Credit: Unknown via Pinterest

Something you can put on your vision board is a positive affirmation that reminds you of how capable you are. Whenever you feel like giving up, repeat this affirmation in your head. Making a vision board is a way to express yourself and your intentions without bringing stress and negativity into the picture. Remember to have fun; you are trying to better yourself, but don’t take it to heart if you mess up sometimes. If you are ever feeling discouraged, remember why you set these intentions and take another look at your vision board: that’s what it’s there for.

Good luck in 2020!

Keri is a freshman at Pitt majoring in pre-pharmacy. Other than Her Campus, Keri is also a member of CHAARG. When she is not writing, Keri likes to hang out with dogs, listen to all kinds of music, read, workout, drink coffee, and do yoga.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt