College Blues: Dealing With Different Sources of Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

A little stress is good for us college students. It serves as a friendly reminder that – news flash, we can’t just be sitting on our butts all day and do nothing with our lives! But too much stress can drive us (and our friends!) insane. As we start thinking about what we may be doing next year (for my fellow seniors), or if you’re caught up on what you want your major to be, we tend to get tripped up on a bunch of things that can actually be solved if we take a step back and slow down. I made my New Year’s resolution to make my motto this semester: “Worry less, smile more.” It’s been working out pretty nicely, but I still need some reminders. Here’s some ways to deal with some everyday stressors in your life, and know that you are not alone!

Newer classesSome of your classes this semester may not be your favorite yet, but in reality these classes could actually turn out to be some of your most memorable. The thing to keep in mind is that even when it doesn’t seem like you will enjoy the reading material or the constant class discussions the professor expects, when you come to class prepared you will feel more confident and could even come to think the material is not that bad. Plan your schedule so that you know when readings are due, and put some energy into them, so when the professor randomly calls on someone, you can show you are ready. Use this new elective or type of class to meet someone totally new too! You never know, so just keep an open mind.

Grad school and the big job searchIt’s practically time to become a real person for us seniors. Was anybody actually ready for this, or did it just sneak up on us all? Now that graduation is around the corner, we are expected to either go on to graduate school, or land our first-time “Big Girl” or “Big Boy” job. This process seems eternally endless. But I’m here to tell you to just breathe. You can get through this. The good thing about this hugely stressful time is that with each application you fill out, email you send, and resumes you give out at a job fair, you are giving yourself so many opportunities to build connections and potentially catch someone’s eye. The future can go any which way for you – it’s not a set plan like each upcoming semester is, and for many that is a scary thought. Just stay organized by making checklists and staying on top of phone calls. Watch some videos on interview skills, and take it a day at a time. Remember, once you send in that application or cover letter, the decision is now out of your hands. Knowing this, forget about it for a while and do not over-think what you could have done instead (something I always have to remind myself to do). Rewards are always a good idea too! Take some friends and catch a movie or have a girl’s night in to keep your mind from stressing over that phone interview.

So not bikini bod readyMarch 8th everybody! Spring break is coming up, and until that time, our campus gyms are going to be absolutely packed. Download some fitness apps like MyFitnessPal or RunKeeper to help get you back to where you were before winter break. Bring a friend to the gym, and try to go when less people are around so you aren’t focused on what others are doing. Just focus on your own technique and your personal pace. Start gradually, and work up to where you feel is a good goal for you. Mine is to run a 5K before graduation in April! So log your workouts on RunKeeper daily, and fight that gym-timidation!

RoommatesYou’ve realized there are some differences there that you didn’t see before living with her. Roommates can be tricky, because it can be hard to realize that you two have grown up doing things totally differently. My rule of thumb is: don’t let little things get to you. If it isn’t hurting anyone, don’t say anything about it. Better to keep things positive in such tight quarters than to cause fights every day!

Your hair skin and nailsAnyone else’s hands cracking faster than you can squeeze out moisturizer? I know I apply more than enough in the morning and yet by mid-afternoon I have to whip out the lotion bottles in class yet again. The weather is not in our favor this time of year. Try out a little space heater for your room to make the air easier on your skin. Baby Lips by Maybelline is my go-to right now for fighting chapped lips. Also, try applying Jergens Natural Glow for a moisturizing look that doesn’t mimic a fake tan if you’re worried about looking a little ghostly after staying in from the cold. It actually works really well even if you’re the palest pale (like me!). Lastly, if you’re nails are your weakness when it comes to stress, and they aren’t looking as pretty as can be, I always like to get them done professionally so I’m not tempted to ruin them. Make a day out of it and go over to S&T Nail Design on Meyran (they’re not very expensive either) and bring your girls along!

Graduation and leaving our best friendsSeniors – this is such a bittersweet time in our college careers. Our closest friends we’ve made as school will most likely be heading in all different directions in just a few months. Though this big time of change, it’s also something to be super excited about. Yes, we are at a point where we will soon have to give up constantly singing T-Swift every day with our girls, but it’s also a big opportunity to plan some awesome visits to so many different places, or maybe even a trip around the world. And don’t forget the stories we’ll all get to hear once we reconnect after graduation! Start by planning times to meet up maybe every few months or so, and your nerves will soon calm down a bit. There are always phone calls, FaceTime, SnapChat, and so many other ways to stay in touch. One thing’s for certain…you love each other and will always have each other. Remember: It’s never goodbye, it’s see you later.

(Shout-out to a few of my close friends at Pitt. I love you guys!)

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, author’s own

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt