Wellness

6 Simple Ways to Be Nice to Yourself During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s safe to say that we’re all struggling a little right now. Between online classes, self-isolation and the endless negativity on the news, it’s important to prioritize your mental health right now. Here are some easy tips to help make sure you’re taking care of yourself despite everything that’s going on.

Get some fresh air

When you’re living and working in the same space, you might find yourself going days without leaving home. However, staying inside means you’re missing out on exposure to sunlight, which is proven to have a positive effect on your mood. Even if it’s just for a few minutes, try to set aside some time to go outside every day. Try checking out some green spaces around Pitt’s campus! Here are a few of our favorites here at Her Campus

Rest your eyes

This one is so simple, but it makes a huge difference. If you’re spending a lot of time looking at screens, you may notice that by the end of the day, your eyes feel strained or you have a headache. There’s an easy way to prevent this feeling. If you feel your eyes starting to get tired while you’re working, pick a point across the room and focus on it for 30 seconds. This relaxes the muscles that you use to focus on things up close, so your eyes will feel less strained.

Set a homework cutoff time

When you can’t go anywhere, your day can lose structure. One thing that you can do to keep yourself organized is set a cutoff time for when to stop doing work and start taking time for yourself. Preferably at least an hour before you go to bed, put away your work and do something you actually enjoy. Setting this one boundary can reduce stress and help you sleep better.  

Get dressed

It might be tempting to lie around in your pajamas all day, but you’d be surprised at how it can negatively affect your productivity. The simple act of getting dressed every morning gets your day started and gives you a boost of confidence to take on the day’s challenges.

Put your phone down

Seriously. We’re all spending enough time looking at screens right now. Read a book, take a walk or listen to some music. Whatever you do, taking a break from your phone is a great way to let your mind slow down and relax.

Journal

This is an emotional time. There’s a million things to be anxious about, and it’s okay to not be okay. But that doesn’t mean it’s okay to ignore negative feelings when they come up. It’s important to pay attention to yourself and how you’re feeling. A low stakes conversation with your own psyche can do wonders. Writing down your thoughts in a journal can help you work through emotions and clear your head.

It’s always important to look after yourself. But now more than ever, treat yourself with kindness. Go easy on yourself. Remember to let yourself breathe.

Elizabeth is a senior at Pitt majoring in English Writing and French. When she's not writing for hc, Elizabeth likes cooking, spending time with friends, and exploring Pittsburgh's cultural side.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt