neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways To Get In Shape Without Going To The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s approaching the end of January and my patience is certainly wearing thin with my New Year’s resolution. I, like many of you, told myself that this year is the year: the year I get my life together, get in shape, and take better care of myself. The obvious answer to this is to eat a better diet and go to the gym to work out. Armed with my new Apple Watch and several calorie counting apps, I set off on my new self-improvement adventure. Walking into the campus dining hall presented me with a challenge as I was surrounded by all my favorite, definitely not diet-approved foods. Walking into the gym was even more uncomfortable — it was crowded and all the avid gym-goers whispered with their friends that none of us newbies would last the month. At that moment, I decided there had to be a better way that doesn’t involve hitting the gym every day.

1. Food Choices

A wise fitness guru on the Internet once said that beach bodies are built in the kitchen. If you’re living on campus, this can be tough. Try visiting the salad bar or using a combination of foods from different stations to build the meal you want instead of just accepting whatever entrées the various stations are serving. Many campuses also have a station that features gluten-free or other healthy options. Also, watch your portions and notice if you’re going back for seconds or thirds. The wide availability of food in campus dining halls makes it incredibly easy to overeat. If you’re allowed a blender on campus and have access to a grocery store, try substituting your normal breakfast with a power smoothie. Some of my favorite recipes can be found here, but experimenting is a great way to figure out what works for you. If you’re living off-campus and you’re on a budget, the Internet is full of healthy eating menus that help you plan meals for under a certain amount of money a week. Pinterest is one of the best sources for these.

2. Walk More

We miss so many opportunities for potential exercise throughout our days by taking the bus short distances or using elevators instead of taking the stairs. Climbing the stairs is a great toning exercise for your legs. If your destination is less than a mile away and the weather isn’t terrible, opt out of the bus ride and walk instead. You’ll get a nice cardio boost for the day and it’ll only take you an extra five minutes or so. If walking around your neighborhood isn’t an option, consider getting a part-time restaurant job. In an average four-hour shift, I walked about two and half miles – and making a little extra cash is definitely a bonus!

3. Drink More Water

Drinking water has been proven to come with several health benefits since we are, in fact, mostly made of water. Drinking more water helps bloating, and drinking water helps boost your metabolism. It also can help you avoid overeating. Most importantly, ditch the high-calorie, high sugar drinks like soda and juices that aren’t 100% fruit-based. By replacing these drinks with water, you’ll reduce your sugar intake by more than half, and if you’re calorie counting, you’ll free up tons of extra calories that can be eaten and enjoyed. And for the love of all that is good, stay away from alcoholic beverages as often as possible! These drinks, in addition to being high in sugar and calories, cloud your judgement which can lead to a case of the “drunchies.” Plus, alcohol can slow your metabolism.

4. Get Enough Sleep

The research is in, and it says that sleep is pretty much the most important thing you can do for your body. Studies have shown that people who don’t sleep enough are more likely to snack and make poor food choices due to higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Sleep is required for your body to essentially reset itself for the next day, and without enough of it, you are more prone to weight gain. See this article for more information and options to help you get more sleep.

5. Join an Exercise Class

Joining an exercise class, whether by yourself or with friends, is a great way to get a workout in without facing judgement from others in the gym. You also get a great opportunity to meet new people that have fitness goals similar to your own. Yoga, barre, dance, spinning, and Zumba classes are all wonderful options to exercise, have fun while making new friends, and possibly learn new skills.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt