This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Need some ideas to get out of the 2020 slump? Here are seven ways you can kick off 2021 with a little self-care.

Rearrange Your Room

A new year calls for a new space. Whether you want to make small additions with new decor or big changes like moving your bed and desk area, the alterations can transform your personal space and make it more comfortable. Use Pinterest and Instagram as sources of inspiration before you go all in!

Here’s a Pinterest page to get you started.

Declutter Your Closet

Have you ever looked at your closet and said, “I have nothing to wear,” even though your wardrobe was overflowing with clothes?

Same.

The problem isn’t a lack of clothing, it’s having too many items that you do not wear. The new year is a perfect time to try a new style and get rid of clothes you don’t like or that don’t fit anymore! You can declutter by selling clothes online or in secondhand shops, or by donating them. 

Rule of thumb: If you haven’t worn a piece in over six months, chances are you’re never going to wear it, so get rid of it. 

Popular places you can sell/donate clothes: Poshmark, Depop, Mercari, Goodwill and Salvation Army. 

Clean Your Makeup Brushes and Tools

Sudden acne flareup? Brushes looking a little dusty? If you wear makeup, it’s easy to forget that our tools need to be cleaned consistently.

Dermatologists recommend that brushes be cleaned every 10 days; and don’t worry, cleaning makeup tools is easier than you think.

Just use a gentle cleanser, mild soap or baby shampoo, and mix it with some water to wash out your brush or sponge. Make sure the water runs clear before drying off your brush with a paper towel or letting it air-dry.

Try a New Hobby

With COVID-19 coming into the new year with us, life can feel monotonous and boring at home. Spice it up by trying something new!

Have you always wanted to learn how to cook or bake? Now is a perfect time! Research recipes and test techniques out at home before showing off your skills to family and friends.

Want to get into fitness but can’t go to the gym? Start out with low-impact workouts at home like yoga and pilates. There are plenty of videos on YouTube and Instagram that can guide you through workouts.

Are you super passionate about art or photography? Invest in new supplies and equipment to create and share content, or maybe even start your own small business! The possibilities are endless. 

Start Journaling or Using a Planner

Whether you want to unwind and write about your day or plan out your week, journaling and using a planner can keep you organized. You can find planners anywhere, including Target, Walmart and Amazon. A popular way to journal is by using the bullet journal method.

Here is my favorite bullet journal youtube channel (AmandaRachLee) to help you get started!

Create and Stick to a Consistent Sleep Schedule

As a college student, I know it’s difficult to stick to a consistent sleep schedule, especially during exam season when we are pulling all-nighters and waking up at noon the next day.

The struggle is real.

However, there are many benefits to having a good sleep schedule: you’ll feel refreshed and recharged, stress less (which could help with acne) and better maintain your body’s internal clock. Before going to bed, do not indulge in caffeine, and try not to go on your phone (studies have shown that blue light can affect sleep patterns).

Remember, it takes 21 days to build a habit, so don’t give up. If you really cannot sleep, you could try melatonin to help with your insomnia, but make sure you are not taking any other medications that it can interfere with.

Break Up With 2020

We all know how rough of a year 2020 was. A lot happened, and life as we knew it came crashing down. A global pandemic, quarantine, political tensions, social injustices, the list goes on.

But don’t let things that happened in 2020 dominate your 2021.

Other people’s success does not equate to your downfall or failure. In times like these, productivity looks different for everyone, and mental health is more important than ever. Don’t dwell on past mistakes, let go, take care of yourself in the new year.

Break up with 2020 and start fresh.

Kacey is currently attending THE Ohio State University and is studying Communications and Spanish, while minoring in Business and Fashion. In her free time, Kacey likes to longboard, try new foods, and create content on social media platforms.