stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Sculpting Core Workouts You Can Do At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Do you ever think, “I don’t have time for abs,” or “I’m not at a gym; therefore, I can’t do an ab workout today,” well think again. I’m going to give you some amazing and simple core workouts you can do from home that require no equipment—just a positive mindset.

If I ever find myself in a rush to leave the gym, and pushing abs to later on that night, I always find a way to incorporate a sculpting core workout that I can do in my room. It doesn’t have to be long or boring in any way. Put on some music and get to it!

Side plank hip drops

Start in a side plank position on your forearm on one side. Make sure you stack your feet or drop a knee if you feel like it’s too challenging to hold a side plank. Once the feet are positioned properly, drop the hip so it touches the floor and come back up. Repeat. Abs will be on fire with just a couple of reps!

Kick outs with hip lift

Start lying on your back with hands supporting underneath your tailbone or out to the side. Kick both legs out straight, then draw the knees in, then kick both legs up (keeping both legs as straight as you can) and as you kick up lift the hips. This hip lift is similar to a crunch, and after you lift up, set your hips back down, and repeat the kick out again. You got this!

Windshield Wipers

Start lying on your back with legs up. Rotate the legs side to side, trying to keep your back on the floor. Make sure to not twist the back too much and keep the core tight. If it feels too hard then try it with bent knees moving side to side. Also go slow on these to make it more of a challenge. You will feel it.

Side plank starfish hold (try regular side plank hold if starfish is too challenging)

Start in a side plank position on your forearm on one side. Make sure your body and feet are stacked and make sure those hips are not sagging. If you can, raise the top leg up so that you resemble a starfish shape. Hold if you can or pulse it out. Squeeze the core!

Low plank to high plank

Start in a low plank so on your forearms, neutral back and core tight. Slowly, move one forearm off of the group and come onto the hand, and repeat with the other arm. Once you are in a high plank, move back down into a low plank again. Do not drop the hips or round the back. I always leave this one for the end and if I get a burst of energy I will go faster to get my heart rate even higher. 

Hi! I'm Hailey. I am a senior at the Unviersity of Oregon studying Advertising. I am a workout nut and a Certified Personal Trainer at our campus REC center. In my free time you can find me outside, either hiking, biking or exercising. I am also completley obsessed with the fashion industry and will hopefully be going into Fashion Merchandising and Marketing in the near future.