courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make the New Semester Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

Let’s face it, your first semester was not the piece of cake you thought it would be. Something went awry. Maybe it was your grades, your social life, or heaven forbid, your love life. The New Year and the new semester are here, and it’s time for a new you!

Scheduling

If you don’t have these yet, buy a planner and a calendar. If you do have them, then please start using them religiously. I like to schedule out time periods to do homework, work on research and essays, exercise, and that much-needed girl time. Remember, schedules are there for a reason, but always make sure you have some wiggle room or you might stress yourself out. Always make sure you stay on top of assignments and for the love of all that is good, do NOT procrastinate.

Brain Food

Make sure you wake up early enough to eat breakfast. You need nutrition before you go to class, and, honestly, who wants to sit in class hungry? Try to eat at home regularly if you live off campus. Making food is cheaper than eating out, and it’s a good excuse to invite friends over for some much-needed girl talk.

Remember, you are a queen and need to eat like one, meaning eat a variety of foods. Make sure you have plenty of vegetables and fruits accompanying your carbs and protein. A well-balanced diet will give you more energy and help you feel better.

https://www.foodiesfeed.com/free-food-photo/grilled-salmon-cubes-with-vegetables/

Cutting Ties

One of the most important things in your life is the type of people you surround yourself with. Make sure everyone you frequent time with is a positive influence on you and is encouraging you. The last thing you need is a negative voice playing into your insecurities. This includes friends and love interests. Kick those toxic people out of your life! You deserve better!

Social Life

You only live once, but do you really need to go to that party on Thursday night if you have an important test on Friday? Probably not. Your friends might call you a nerd, but remember, your grades come first and partying comes later. Find a way to hang out with friends and get the partying in while still getting your work done. You might have to focus on homework for the first few hours after classes and then leave the night time for your friends. A good app to keep you off of your phone so you can focus is called “Forest.” This app lets you set a timer for how long you want to stay focused and when you finish the timer, it shows that you grew a tree. The premium version of the app actually plants a tree for every successful time that you complete the timer!

Just remember, it’s 2019 and it’s time for you to put yourself first. Your grades, your health, your social life. It is your time to shine, sis, and I believe in you.

Kallie Gosnell

Ole Miss '20

Kallie is an anthropology major that is specializing in bioarchaeology. She loves and is fascinated by bones and the stories that they can tell. She loves to cosplay and play Dungeons and Dragons.
Taylor is a senior at the University of Mississippi. She is a Physics and Biology major minoring in Chemistry and Italian. Taylor is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ole Miss and was a founding member of the Ole Miss chapter. Taylor also serves as the Treasurer of Society of Physics Students and mentor to 33 wonderful transfer students at her university. She absolutely loves to dress up, no matter the occasion. Also an avid cosplayer, she loves attending comic conventions and showing off her Wonder Woman cosplay as well as her Raven costume. Taylor loves to write about her personal experiences and how-to articles.