5 Ways to Take Care of Yourself Mentally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

With the semester in full swing it’s easy to get caught up in: school, work and other responsibilities. But, if you want to succeed academically you need to take care of yourself mentally. Your mental well being is just as important as your physical well being. Here are a few tips to staying mentally healthy! 

1.  Always make time for what YOU like to do: You probably have a ton of work to do, and with that comes a very restrictive schedule. If you can do some work between classes, while eating lunch, or during other free times during the day, it’ll give you more time at the end of the day to unwind and do what you want to be doing. Always remember to spend time with your friends, read, go shopping, and dedicate time to yourself and your hobbies. 
  2.  Get Your Sleep: Your Doctors tell you this, your parents tell you this, and now your body is telling you this. Young adults  need about eight hours of sleep a night to feel refreshed and ready for the day.Getting a good nights sleep will make you ready for the long day ahead of you.
  3.  Exercise: Doctors and mental health professionals agree that exercise is a great way to combat mental health issues. Exercise helps reduce stress, aids insomnia, and increases the body’s endorphin productivity.  Going to the gym may sound dreadful sometimes so try playing a new sport, going for a run, or a nice cold swim.
  4. Surround​ ​yourself​ ​with​ ​Positive​ ​Energy​:  Surround yourself with people who are also always looking to improve themselves and that take care of themselves mentally. Positivity is contagious. 
  5. Take​ ​a​ ​day​ ​off:​ It’s okay to take a day off. You don’t have to be productive every second of every day. In the end, taking care of yourself is extremely productive because it will help you succeed. If you have a day without class, do some of your work early and then take the rest of the day off. You deserve it.

Each academic year is extremely challenging so I hope that this advice helps you stay mentally healthy this year. If you ever need anyone to talk to or feel lonely or depressed please seek help. The counseling and psychological wellness center is located in the Student Union and is open Monday- Friday from 9-5 PM. Remember, someone is always here to listen!

Otelia Mabry

Old Westbury '20

A tenacious journalist, feminist, and model fighting the good fight for equality, information, and intellect. "Give me one firm spot on which to stand and I shall move the earth."- Archimedes