Ways to De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

College is a balancing act. Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, you’ll most likely agree that juggling between classes, student organizations, a social life and keeping up with family back home can be pretty stressful. How is it possible to manage all of that stress? How can you make sure that long, tiring days can be made into restful, relaxing nights? Well, as hard as it can be to let go of everything that’s on your to-do list, it’s also very important to put yourself first. A healthy mind equals a happier, more productive person! Here are some tips that I’ve found helpful during my two semesters in college to help you de-stress and take care of yourself this semester. 

Take a breather This one might seem a little counter productive, but I’ve found that making time in my day to do nothing but clear my head and breathe helps me to de-stress a lot for the rest of the day. My advice is to find someplace peaceful; this can be your dorm room, your favorite coffee shop, or even a nice grassy area on campus and sit in silence for few minutes to clear your head.

Photo courtesy of wordpress.com

Sweat it out

Take some time out of your busy day to do some kind of physical activity.  This can be a structured workout at a gym, a hike on a local trail, or a spontaneous game of soccer with your friends. Anything that gets you moving and sweating will release endorphins and have you feeling a lot less stressed by the end!

(Gif courtesy of giphy.com)

Plan your life out

How many of you are as guilty as I am when it comes to buying a planner at the beginning of the semester and then not using after the first week? To everyone out there like me, actually taking some time to use your planner and make a list of everything you have to do can actually help to reduce your stress. And even better, you tick things off as you do them to see your progress.

(Photo from i.ytimg.com)

Call home

Being homesick is a big part of college and can unknowingly be a major stressor, especially if you’re close with your family. And let’s be real, no one is a better listener/problem solver/shoulder to cry on than your mom. So take some time to give her a call, or you could FaceTime with your family dog (no judgment).

(Photo courtesy of gudog.com)

Just a coffee loving sorority girl who tends to be a little too sassy.
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!