Wellness

How I’ve Made the Most of Online Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This semester is very different from what we’re used to in the past. I know online learning isn’t the ideal type of learning and there are a lot of issues that come along with it. While we can complain about it as much as we want, we have to make the most out of it until it’s safe for us to be back on campus. It hasn’t been easy, but I’ve been able to find out ways to make the most out of online learning and maybe you guys will take some tips from this too!

Homework

It has definitely hard to concentrate at home for my homework. I can’t focus at home and I feel a lot of people can relate to that one. I’ve started going to coffee shops or my boyfriend’s house to study or do homework. That way I actually feel like I’m kind of back at college, even if it’s very slightly. I feel more organized and less lazy when I’m somewhere else. Being around other people or in their presence helps me concentrate because I won’t end up distracting myself. It also helps me work more because everyone around me is working on homework as well.

Getting Ready

I know since we’re online we don’t have to dress up when we go to class. I think getting ready helps me feel more motivated for the day. I try and wash my face, change, brush my teeth, and eat before class so I don’t feel lazy in class. It helps me remind myself that I’m still in school and getting work done for class.

Staying Organized

It’s harder to stay organized, at least for me, because all my days have been jumbled up now. I make a list for each week of what work I need to do and make sure to check the syllabus for due dates. The list helps me think of what will be4.  due on what day and makes me feel more prepared. I feel organization was easier for me in college because I was going to my classes and my schedule was more straightforward. However, even small little things like keeping a list of due dates for the week has helped me stay on track more.

Staying Involved

Staying involved with organizations has greatly helped me by making me feel like I was back on campus. Online meetings and keeping our publications alive have helped me stay active. It keeps me busy. Whether you’re in a publication or any type of organization, being active in it helps you feel a little more at home.

Taking Breaks

Online school is overwhelming. Doing extra work while trying to learn online isn’t the most ideal situation to be in. I’ve found that taking breaks and just talking with friends has helped me feel less overwhelmed. Knowing we all feel this way and are supporting each other has made some of the stress lift.

While it isn’t a lot, these ways have helped me while navigating online classes. I know everyone is a bit confused right now, but figuring out ways to make the most of your situations has made it more bearable. Everything is all over the place, but I’ve made it so I can feel more organized this semester.

Amy is currently a junior at Ohio University. She is majoring in journalism strat comm and is the PR Chief for Thread Magazine, Instagram manager for HerCampus and work for 1804Communication. In her free time she loves to explore new places with her friends, spend time with her boyfriend and go to concerts and museums.
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!