This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

If you have ever exercised at a gym, you have probably experienced gym anxiety. If you have ever exercised at a campus recreation center, you have definitely experienced gym anxiety. Anyone at any fitness level can struggle with it, because it usually has little to do with the fitness itself. Rather, certain environmental, social and personal factors can make it difficult or uncomfortable for some to exercise in the gym. As a fairly new gym-goer myself, I hope to offer some advice by sharing what helps me fight gym anxiety.

I decided to get back in the gym about six-months ago, at the beginning of last fall semester. When I started, I thought the biggest challenge I would face is staying consistent, or actually going when I am determined to go. Especially in college, it can be hard to integrate fitness into such fluctuating and busy schedules. To my surprise, however, I do not struggle with self-discipline and consistency as I thought I would; I definitely struggle more with gym anxiety. Fitness is all about health and wellness, but it is also very vulnerable and personal. There are many ways that gym anxiety can manifest, and these are some instances I have observed or experienced.

Most prominently, going to the gym can raise issues with self-image and appearance. Feeling self-conscious can develop other negative mindsets, like self-doubt or comparison to those that seem more advanced. Being inexperienced and making mistakes, especially as a beginner, can feel shameful. This fear of embarrassment and judgment is usually very limiting and prevents progress from being made; it can prevent people from working out at all.

Going to the gym is also surprisingly social, whether you want it to be or not. Even without socializing, the gym is still very social. For many, seeing acquaintances and being recognized can be distracting and cause stress. If you become a gym-regular, it is only a matter of time before you recognize the other regulars, too. If you work out at a recreation center on your college campus, you are surrounded with classmates and peers. Personally, nothing gives me more gym-dread than busy hours and crowds. Exercising in a crowded room is not only intimidating, it is also just challenging. Taking up space in a busy gym takes courage, and it can be frustrating to negotiate your workout with a crowd. Waiting for spaces or machines to free-up drains time and momentum during a workout. Personally, I will go home before I lurk around a busy weight room or interrupt someone mid-set.

Women tend to experience gym anxiety very deeply. Let’s be real: gyms typically have an overwhelmingly-masculine presence that can influence a woman’s sense of comfort, or sometimes safety. In my opinion, this is more relevant as a beginner; after a while, I felt used to it because it became my norm. However, I believe when a woman walks into a gym full of men, she probably notices. She may not react, but she notices. Without a doubt, that can create a power dynamic in the gym–but one that women challenge every day.

After spending about six months going to the gym, I have three pieces of advice for fighting gym anxiety. First, be more honest about it with yourself, and re-assess your relationship with fitness. Usually, anxiety creeps in without conscious thought behind it; try to be more aware of what you are doing or experiencing in the gym, and how it makes you feel. The most important part of fighting gym anxiety is being aware of what causes it. Then, you have the power to push through it, or adjust your routine to make yourself more comfortable. I make an effort to work out when the gym is less busy, but if I can’t, I go and do my best. Give yourself grace, too.

Next, be honest with someone else–someone you trust that also goes to the gym. When I started working out, I went with my roommate and followed her routines. Learning from her and her gym experience helped me gain confidence in the gym, and I owe so much of my progress to her. However, I also already trusted her, and never felt ashamed to ask questions or for help. If you know anyone that works out, talk to them about it, or even try working out with them. Chances are, others will relate to and understand what you struggle with in the gym.

Finally, make fighting gym anxiety part of your fitness goals. If you know what you struggle with, look for ways to lean into it and overcome it. If you dread going to the gym at all, make it your goal to go. This exposure-therapy method is not easy, but it works. Establishing trust and confidence in yourself is a firm way to eliminate gym anxiety. I am exercising in the gym in ways I never thought I would, all because I decided to try. Fighting your gym anxiety can make you a stronger person than any workout routine.

Lizzi is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. She is from Pittsburgh, PA and enjoys listening to music, thrifting, exercising, collecting vinyl, playing guitar and learning new instruments.