This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

“Go to college they said, it’ll be fun they said.” Yes, college is fun. But here’s what they don’t tell you: The stresses of college can make you– for lack of better words– lose your mind. I’ve learned a few things since I’ve started college. There will definitely be times that you feel low, but being selfish and setting aside time for yourself can make you feel lighter. There are little things you can do to ease your mind.

Me Time

Designate specific time every week to yourself. You can use this time to things you enjoy; whether it’s binging on your new favorite Netflix show or going to your favorite restaurant. Despite, the name it’s possible to have “me time” with friends too. If it’s something you enjoy, go for it. 

Self Care Sunday has recently become a trend on social media. Doing things to help you relax your mind and body. Your self-care day doesn’t have to be Sunday. Most people choose this day to relax because they’re off from work. It’s also a good way to recover from your weekend’s festivities and prepare the week ahead. 

Here are some things I do on my Self Care Sundays:

Sleep In

Source: Giphy

A lot of people do not get an adequate amount of rest during the week. During the weekends, most people hang out during the day and sometimes into the late night. Sunday is the day I use to catch up on sleep.

Skin Care Regimens

Source: Giphy

From applying face masks to exfoliating to shaving; you can have your own personal spa day in the comfort of your own home.

Clean

Source: Giphy

I’ve heard a saying that goes, “If your room is a mess, then you are a mess.” With that being said, clear your room for a clear head. If you’re in college, your room may the place you eat, sleep, and do homework. It’s hard to get anything done in a messy space.

Plan For The Week

Source: Giphy

Whether you’re in school or working, Sunday is the perfect day to check for upcoming due dates for assignments and projects. Make sure you allow the right amount of time to meet the deadline. Set reminders on your phone for upcoming events and/or meetings.

Listen to music

Source: Giphy

Most people listen to music daily. Don’t leave your favorite songs out of your Self Care Sunday. Stay away from those songs that get yours in feelings.

Be Selfish

It’s okay to be selfish, sometimes. A lot of times people give more than what they’re receiving in return. Don’t get too wrapped up in doing things for others. You can lose yourself and maybe even a little of your sanity. Be more selfish with your time and your resources. Yes, it’s good to be a good person, but there’s a thin line between being a good person and being a pushover.

Here are some things I try when other people around me become slightly draining.

“Do Not Disturb.”

Source: Giphy

Apple users have the choice of using the “Do Not Disturb” feature which stops your phone from receiving notifications. When you’re feeling overwhelmed because of the things going around you just take a break from the world.

Say “No” More Often ​

Source: Giphy

You’re not obligated to anyone besides yourself. Don’t inconvenience yourself just to please someone else.

Life can be overwhelming. School, work, family, friends, etc. can be a lot to handle. No matter what’s going on it’s important to prioritize yourself. We often get wrapped up in our responsibilities and let them take over our lives. I’ve learned that there is always going to be something going on, so just remember to take a break. Choose your happiness and peace over everything else.