kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why Everyone Needs a Succulent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Next time you walk by the plant section in the grocery store, think again. There’s a reason why succulents are popular. They’re easy to care for, provide many health benefits, and a great way to add some fun decor and color to your dorm room or apartment. Here are some of the best reasons why you should consider adding a succulent into your life!

Low Maintenance

Succulents don’t need to be watered often, so they’re great plants for busy college students. But be sure not to overwater!

Easy Decor

Adding a few succulents can really brighten a room. So when your dorm is looking a little bleak, freshen it up with some succulents like aloe veras, panda plants, or jade plants.

Best Friend

A succulent is the best friend you never knew you needed. They’re always in your room whenever you need a buddy to study or Netflix with. And they come in all shapes and sizes, so there’s bound to be a fit for you!

Air Purifier

Some succulents, like aloe vera, have been shown to purify the air by removing as much as 87 percent of volatile organic compounds from the air. These compounds include toxins like gasoline, benzene, and formaldehyde. Let succulents work their magic in your room, and come home to fresh and clean air!

Air Humidifier

Succulents add moisture to the air. Added moisture can help with sore throats, dry coughs, or dry skin.

Mental and Psychological Health

Succulents come with physical health benefits as well as mental health benefits. For instance, they can enhance focus, reduce stress levels, and improve memory retention by up to 20 percent.

We hope we have convinced you to get a succulent, and enjoy all the benefits of your new plant!

Image Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Carol Wu is a freshman in the Liberal Studies Core Program, studying away in Washington, DC. When she's not busy Netflixing, she can be found at Starbucks, sipping on a sweet, sweet, icy Refresher. In the near future, she hopes to give in to her wanderlust cravings and make the world her home.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.