Style > Beauty

The One Skincare Product Every NYC Dweller Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Dust, smog, and cigarette smoke, New York City definitely has its fair share of air pollution. Even though these tiny pollution particles are invisible to us, they wreak havoc on our complexion, causing enlarged pores, irritation, premature aging, dullness, discoloration, and dryness just to name a few. For us here at NYU, this becomes an even bigger issue because we spend so much of our time outside, whether it’s studying in Washington Square Park or walking all across the city for class, clubs, and internships.

Luckily, there’s a new generation of skincare saviors here to protect our skin from NYC’s pollution – anti-pollution mists! These products contain powerful antioxidants and create a barrier between your skin and small, floating pollution particles (a.k.a. particulate matter). Read on for our top picks.

1) VERSO Skincare Anti Pollution Mist, $50

VERSO is an up-and-coming skincare brand that utilizes some of the most cutting-edge research in their products, and their Anti-Pollution Mist is no exception: it contains a metal-binding polymer that doubles as an antioxidant to remove free radicals. This fine mist prohibits pollutants from penetrating into the skin, which helps to prevent dryness, irritation, and wrinkles. It’s definitely a splurge, but your skin will be thanking you in twenty years.

2) REN Skincare Flash Defence Anti-Pollution Mist, $38

For those of you who are interested in natural skincare, REN’s Flash Defense Anti-Pollution Mist is the one for you. Suitable for all skin types, this mist forms a shield on your skin to protect against pollution, and strengthens your skin’s own natural defenses and ability to detoxify. Did we mention it smells divine?

3) Tula Urban Defense Hydrating Mist, $28

Harnessing the power of probiotic technology, Tula’s mist nourishes and balances your skin and protects it from irritants, while also reducing the appearance of inflammation. Formulated with rose water, coconut water, and hyaluronic acid, this mist is a dream for those with dry skin because it instantly boosts hydration.

4) WEI Golden Root Multi-Action Anti-Pollution Mist, $20

WEI’s uber-nourishing formula puts a stop to premature aging by forming a protective barrier to seal in moisture. Alcohol-free and plant-based, this mist contains Lemon Extract, which is rich in Vitamin C to brighten skin and make you glow. Refreshing and re-hydrating, we can’t seem to put this mist down.  

5) Urban Decay All Nighter Pollution Protection Environmental Defense Makeup Setting Spray, $34

Urban Decay’s mist doubles as a makeup setting spray and a protective barrier against air pollution, truly a win-win. This spray prevents makeup from melting, fading, or settling into fine lines by actually lowering the temperature of your makeup to help it last for hours on end. Plus, it’s chock full of minerals to fend off air pollution particles.

The bottom line? Mist morning, noon, and night with one of these powerful potions to protect your skin from the pollution of New York City.

Images courtesy of Pexels.

Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.