books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Best Ways to Spend Your Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Winter break is one of my favorite times of the school year. Not only do I love getting into the holiday spirit, but I also love that it is the transitional period between the two semesters where I can really relax and focus on what I want to do. Whether you’re spending it back home or traveling to a vacation spot, here are the best ways to spend your winter break. Happy Holidays!

Catch Up on Sleep

You shouldn’t hibernate your entire winter break, but you must catch up on that much deserved beauty sleep that you were deprived of during the busy semester. Try not to drink alcohol or exercise close to your bedtime, as it might disrupt your quality of sleep. And winter break is the perfect time to start a dream journal!

Go to New Year’s festivals!

For some people, counting down until the ball drops in New York City is at the top of their bucket list. But for EDM and festival lovers, New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to spend dancing with friends and listening to their favorite DJs. Plan and coordinate your festival outfits because it does get pretty chilly at night. You can never have too much glitter, so let it shine under those pretty lights! Some great festivals are Snowglobe, Decadence Colorado, Countdown NYE, and Lights All Night.

Update Your Resume

Now is the perfect time to update your resume and prepare for your dream summer internship. Ask any professionals around you or even your parents to take a look and give you some advice.

Read for pleasure

The chilly weather makes it the perfect time to snuggle up with a good book and some mulled wine or hot chocolate. You can finally read books as a relaxing pastime without the stress of your school work deadlines. Book Recommendation: Panchinko by Min Jin Lee (warning: this Korean epic is beautiful, but sad.)

Spend It With Your Family

I know you want to hang out with friends that you haven’t seen since summer, but remember to spend time with your folks. And in the holiday spirit, you could vocalize your appreciation for them, telling your loved ones how much they mean to you. It may be awkward at first, but they will truly appreciate the heartfelt words.

Check Up On Your Health

There is so much to manage as a busy college student, that your mental and physical health may be the last thing on your mind. But you need to start taking care of your own health, rather than relying on your parents to keep track of things. So make that appointment with the doctor, therapist, or gynecologist. Start making it a habit now.

Get Into Mediation

Meditation has been proven to significantly reduce stress levels and improve focus that can be applicable holistically. The practice also includes gratitude which is correlated to happiness and overall great well being. If you start to make it a habit now, you can use meditation for the next semester as a fundamental part of your daily routine. Here is a basic guide to begin:

1. Sit or lie comfortably and close your eyes.

2. Simply breathe naturally and focus your attention on the breath and how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. Notice the movement of your chest, shoulders, and belly. And focus on the breath without trying to change the intensity or length of breath.

Images: Giphy

Hannah is from San Francisco, studying Media, Culture, and Communications at New York University. An Aries and Scorpio rising, she's the best girlfriend to bring for a night out. If she's not doing headstands at the yoga studio, she's jamming at concerts and festivals. Check her out @hannahjrim
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.