kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Women Should Lift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Following on from my previous article about ‘The Weights Room’, I decided I needed to write about why a woman should venture into this domain!

Many women are averse to lifting and there seems to be a fear that heavy weights will make you look ‘hench’ and unfeminine. Apparently, actress Gwyneth Paltrow refuses to lift more than 2kg for fear that she’ll grow muscles (God forbid!). However, the belief that lifting heavy weights will make you look like a man is a myth. Women can ‘get big’, of course, but to do so would require absolute dedication to achieve such a goal. To ‘get big’ you would have to take supplements, follow strict high protein diets, avoid cardio and pump iron on a daily basis. But for the average woman, lifting weights will just get you fit and help you achieve your dream lean body. 

There are numerous advantages to stepping into the weights room at the gym. Namely, lifting heavy weights will help burn calories for up to 48 hours after your workout as your muscles continue to repair themselves. Cardio may burn more calories while you’re doing it, but after a couple of hours, your body will stop burning these extra calories. It is also a well-known fact that the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest.

Whilst burning extra calories is great, getting strong gives you far more satisfaction. When you measure how great it feels to be able to open your jar of jam, instead of having to pop round to any stronger neighbours, lifting weights seems worth it. Getting strong gives you independence!

Want my advice? Find a partner. It’s far easier to walk into the weights room when you’re accompanied by a mate. You’ll also need them to be your spotter. A good place to start is by doing 3 sets of 8 reps and the weight you choose should be heavy enough to make the eighth rep almost impossible. If you’re struggling to finish the set, then your spotter should help you out – it’s better to finish with a bit of help than to stop half way through.

I get a lot of my workout ideas from different instagram pages and there are so many fitness ones out there! Here are a few I would recommend:

@mankofit_challenge

@tanaashleee

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!