stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Make Body Positivity Your New Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Every year, January comes around with the pressure to join the gym, eat healthily and start radical detoxes. To some, this is a great time to set new lifestyle and fitness goals. However to others, social media focuses on achieving the ‘perfect’ body and can undermine confidence, which brings a sense of failure before January is even half-way over.

This year, instead of setting resolutions on weight, dress size and calorie intake, try setting yourself body positivity goals. Whilst it can be hard to appreciate your own beauty at times, it’s important to remember that everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and being the same size as your skinniest friend doesn’t necessarily equate to being the happiest you.

Here are 5 things to give you inspiration for your new body positivity resolutions.

1. Follow @any.body_co on Instagram

This account is dedicated to celebrating women’s bodies no matter what shape or size, because ‘beauty has no boundaries’. Check it out to feel great about yourself no matter what size bikini you’ll be stepping out in this summer.

2. Watch this!

Lisa Nichols’ video doesn’t direct address body positivity, but it instead focuses on achieving a positive mindset. This is the best way to start viewing things in a more positive way.

https://www.facebook.com/goalcast/videos/1605366899540494/

3. Exercise

Whether you’ve set yourself fitness goals or love the skin you’re in, getting straight into action as soon as you wake up will release endorphins, which will boost your spirits. Whether you walk to uni, spend an hour in the gym or start a small home exercise routine, getting moving will naturally boost your spirits and help you feel positive.

Here’s a home abs exercise routine to get you started:

https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/8-minute-abs-workout-routine-at-home-ab-workouts

4. Check out #bodypositivity on social media

Social media means we now have access to so many people’s stories, which can act as a real inspiration. When you get a spare minute, search the hashtag for inspiring quotes, stories and recipes. Joining a community of people who are on the same journey as you will give you a sense of belonging.

5. Do some further reading

If body positivity is going to be your goal this year then there’s no harm in learning a bit more about it. Here are some great websites that discuss the issue of body positivity further, helping you feel better in your skin this year.

The Body Is Not An Apology

Everyday Feminism

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

Thumbnail

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!