This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For many people (including myself) the gym can be an intimidating place filled with bulky machines, sweaty bodies, and the pressure to look a certain way. However, amidst the initial discomfort, lies a transformative journey towards self-love, confidence, and physical well-being. Just like any relationship, learning to love the gym takes time, patience, and a shift in perspective.

Firstly, it’s essential to redefine the purpose of going to the gym. Instead of focusing solely on aesthetics or conforming to societal standards, consider reframing it as an act of self-care and empowerment. Viewing exercise as a means to enhance overall health and vitality, rather than just achieving a certain body shape, can help shift the focus from external validation to internal satisfaction.

Additionally, finding an exercise routine that aligns with personal interests and goals is crucial. Whether it’s yoga, weightlifting, dance, or group fitness classes, experimenting with different activities can help discover what brings joy and fulfilment. By engaging in enjoyable activities, the gym becomes less of a chore and more of a sanctuary for self-expression and growth.

Furthermore, cultivating a positive mindset is essential in overcoming gym-related insecurities. Instead of comparing yourself to others, celebrate individual progress and milestones. Embrace the journey of self-improvement, recognizing that every step, no matter how small, contributes to personal growth. Surrounding yourself with supportive peers or seeking guidance from fitness professionals can also provide a sense of community and encouragement.

Incorporating mindfulness practices such as deep breathing or visualization can enhance the gym experience. By staying present and tuning into the body’s sensations, workouts become more enjoyable and fulfilling. Embracing the mind-body connection fosters a deeper appreciation for the physical capabilities and strength within.

Learning to love the gym can be tricky; however, by embracing your faults and celebrating even the smallest of progress, your fears will lessen with time.

Bethan Beddow

Nottingham '24

Hi, I'm Bethan and I study English with Creative Writing BA! I adore blog writing, specifically on matters that surround women and femininity, as well as other forms of creative writing such as creating poetry. As a typical English student, my room is brimming with hundreds of books – fantasy and romance are my top genres – and so in my free time I'm usually engrossed in one or two novels.