absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Honey Flapjacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

These gooey flapjacks are not only easy to make, but come with a healthy honey twist. Plus, they’re customisable and easily transported, making them the perfect snack to take into uni, mixing it up every week with different flavour combinations.

INGREDIENTS:

250g Unsalted Butter

250g Demerara Sugar

250g Honey

500g Porridge Oats

75g of your chosen additional ingredients

METHOD:

1. Line a 20x30cm tin and heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

2. Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a pan until the sugar fully dissolves.

3. Tip the oats into the golden, melted mixture. You may find it easier to gradually add the oats.

4. Now to personalise your flapjacks. To continue the healthy theme, add dried fruits and nuts or, for more indulgent flapjacks go for chocolate. Here are some ideas of extra ingredients to add…

• Dried cranberries
  • Raisins
  • Glacé cherries
  • Dried Cherries
  • Dried apricots
  • Dried mango
  • Pistachios
  • Almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Coconut
  • Glacé ginger
  • White/ Milk/Dark chocolate
  • Marshmallows

TIP: Be careful if you’re adding chocolate. If the oat and honey mixture is too hot then your chocolate might melt. Instead, wait for the mixture to cool a little or look out for some cooking chocolate chips which hold their shape when heated.

5. Spread the mixture in the pre-lined tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the edges turn golden brown and the middle is still soft. Leave to cool and the middle will set on its own, and then slice.

6. Finish off your brownies with a drizzle of melted chocolate, or dip the corner of the flapjacks into chocolate and then into crushed nuts.

7. Enjoy! These flapjacks are the perfect portable snack to pop in your uni bag to get you through the day. Alternatively, microwave for a few seconds to recapture that just baked taste, made even better with a scoop of your favourite ice cream.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Source – 1

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!