Spring Flowers Pink Summer Warm Weather Season Color Bloom Beautiful Trees Flowers Life Happy Bright Fun Outside Outdoors Calm
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

HOW TO ACTUALLY TAKE A BREAK THIS SPRING BREAK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Productivity culture is impossible to ignore. It’s easy to feel like you have to be on the grind nonstop. But, you don’t. That mindset is toxic and will only lead to burnout. This glorification of work is simply unsustainable. So, when Spring Break finally comes, what should you do? Actually take a break. 

Here’s some ideas for how to put yourself first next week. 

1. Make time for the things you love  

School and student activities can be so hectic. You might feel like you’ve lost touch with some of your favorite activities and hobbies. So, get back to the things that bring you joy that you’ve been neglecting! Marathon watch your favorite show, cook elaborate meals, go for a hike — do whatever brings back the sparkle that exam season might have sucked out of you. 

1. Don’t feel guilty for taking care of yourself

After a long quarter and finals, you need to recharge. If what you need is to sleep in and have lots of chill days, that’s okay. It’s not realistic to constantly churn out work. You’re worthy of care and there’s nothing wrong with knowing what you need to do to feel your best. 

1. Treat yourself 

Order that UberEats! Buy that overpriced cold brew! 

1. Push aside the fear of FOMO 

Some people’s idea of rest and relaxation is a crazy beach trip with friends or lots of social activities. If you’re just exhausted from the academic quarter, don’t worry. It’s valid to take some time for yourself — there’s nothing wrong with a good ‘ol staycation. 

1. Reflect on your quarter and set achievable goals 

If you noticed you stopped sleeping as soon as you got stressed this quarter, make it your mission to get enough sleep! Struggled with work-life balance? Set aside a certain part of your day that’s just for you — not even school or work emails allowed. You don’t have to win a Nobel Peace Prize next quarter, but you can take the little steps to keep you sane

1. Get ahead? Or not

Maybe you have a spark of motivation and you’re actually excited to get back to work and learning. If so, this could be a great time to spend a small (keyword: small) amount of time to get ahead on some readings or apply to internships. If not, don’t fret. Spring Break is meant to be a BREAK. You shouldn’t be working the whole time! Do what feels right for you. 

All in all, enjoy the good weather and the freer schedules. Happy Spring Break! 

Kara Peeler

Northwestern '25

Kara is a first year from Maryland majoring in journalism and political science. She is pursuing a career in journalism. When she's not writing, she enjoys running, cooking, baking and reading.