This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Healing Crystals seem to have popped out of nowhere and have exploded in popularity over night. You can see them used in jewelry such as bracelets, rings or necklaces, mentioned in podcasts/vlogs or even can find them in soap. The point is they are everywhere, but what even are there and how do can one begin to use them?

Healing Crystals are natural gemstones and rocks that are used during meditation, worn on the body or placed on the body to help cure physical, emotional, and mental ailments. Crystals have been around forever, but the use of them as a healing practice expands over several hundred years. So if you are interested in delving into the world of crystals then please continue reading!*

*Note: That healing crystals are not the end all be all for healing/spiritual practice. There are so many different things an individual can do for healing so if this does not work for you then there may be another practice that does- the possibilities are endless!

Research some Crystals

This is the first step to finding out which crystals can help you with your ailments. It is important that you dig a little deep within yourself and try to grasp an understanding of what is going on a more emotional level. For example, if you struggle with speaking your mind or being vocal then you might want to find a crystal that would help with your throat chakra. Some really good sources  that I have used to find crystals are:

Energy Muse 

The Healing Chest 

-The App, Stone, available on the Apple store

-The app, Crystal, available on the Google Play store  

Go to a Crystal shop

So now that you have some idea of the crystals that you would be interested in using and purchasing you have to go to a store that sells crystals. Each shop carries different types of crystals at different price points so it may serve you well to give each place a call and double check to see if they carry the specific crystal you want. Here are my top three places in Chicago:

The Chakra Shoppe 

Alchemy Arts

Infiniteus Rocks and Juice 

Choosing your Crystals

Once you are in shop, you have come to one of my favorite parts which is choosing a crystal. You approach the bowl or container of crystals that you are interested in buying and look for one that catches your eye. You pick up the crystal and feel the energy it emits to you (if any). You will know intuitively when you have the right crystal. It is important to note that more often than not crystals end up picking you then the other way around.

Cleansing your Crystals

Once you have purchased your crystals it is so important that you cleanse them before you use them. Your crystals have been handle by so many hands thus have so many different energies that are of no benefit to you. To cleanse your crystals you can do the following processes:

Smudge them with Sage

-Sea salt and Water bath *Be careful with this one because not all crystals can be placed in water

Selenite Crystals

-Geode or Crystal Cluster

Charging/Energizing your crystals

Once you have cleansed your crystals you can now re-charge them back so that the crystal is used within its own vibrations and energy that it contains. The most simple ways to re-charge your crystals is either through sunlight/moonlight or water. Again double check to see if you can place your specific crystal in water!

Program your crystals

Programming your crystals basically means that you set an intention or purpose with each crystal. To program your crystals go to quiet space where you are alone with just you are your crystals. Hold the crystal in your receiving hand (left) and clear your mind of all thoughts and discussion. Think of a specific energy or purpose you want the crystal to serve you then push those energies into the crystal. Make sure you say a direct sentence like, “This ____crystal serves to this _________purpose”. Continue this process until all of your crystals are programmed

Now that you have completed the process you can use your crystals in many different ways that help to serve you. You can meditate with them, carry them in your pocket, wear them via jewelry or place them in a sacred space in your home. Please repeat this process when you are looking into buying more crystals.

*** It is so important that you repeat steps 4 through 6 as soon as your crystals start to lose their energy and reprogram them with a new intention/energy because over time they will serve no purpose!***

Photo taken from Style Caster