This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

My childhood was filled with sports practices and games and tournaments, so I never really had to work out on my own. Now that I am officially a NARP, or non-athletic regular person, I am on the hunt for ways to work out that I actually enjoy. I found my answer: group workout classes. Workout classes, at the moment, are a fad. Devout SoulCycle fans flaunt their gear on a regular basis, competitive Flywheel members love to talk about their daily class, Orangetheory fanatics claim its superiority over spin classes – and the list goes on. I was familiar with all of these brands before school, but I never heard of CorePower Yoga until I got to Evanston, and I will never look back.

One morning, before my classes for the day started, I split an Uber with one of my friends and we headed to the Old Orchard Shopping Center. I will definitely admit that its location is not exactly ideal because you have to drive to get there, and most college students do not have access to a car. To try and avoid the price of ridesharing apps, ask around and see if any friends have a car they would let you borrow or even a Zipcar you could use for the hour. However, if all else fails, splitting an Uber or Lyft between two to three people to Old Orchard is usually under five dollars, so it is an entirely up to you to decide if it is worth the price of the ride. For me, it was totally worth it.

I decided to go to the 9:30 a.m. Yoga Sculpt class. You cannot sign up online for this particular class, so I arrived a little bit early to register. I was in for a real surprise when I walked up to the front desk: Your first week is completely free. To reiterate, for seven full days, you can attend any class at CorePower free of charge. Many workout classes offer your first class either discounted or free, but this is even better. It can be difficult to find money for workout classes as a college student, and CorePower gives you a week to decide if you feel the class is worth your money. It is an amazing deal.

After I signed up, I grabbed a yoga mat and headed to the locker room. You cannot wear shoes in class, so I put my shoes and coat away and headed to the studio. Once I picked up a few light and heavy weights, I walked into the studio and put my mat down. It was my first class, so I decided to situate myself more toward the back, but there is definitely no hierarchy to the class and you should feel free to set up wherever you like. The very first thing I noticed was the temperature of the room: It was hot. I was told that I should prepare to sweat, but I was sweating before the class even started. Pro tip: bring a lot of water. The heat made me a little nervous, but once we started the class, all my nerves went away. We started with more typical yoga moves, like Child’s Pose and Downward Dog, and gradually it became fast-paced and incorporated a host of different full-body workouts. Time flew by. When we finally got to abs, the last part of the class, I could not believe it was over. I was sweaty and tired, but I loved every minute of it.

I know that college students are overwhelmingly busy with responsibilities that seem to pull you in a million different directions, but it is really important to stay healthy and make time for yourself. For me, a good workout is a great way to relieve stress and clear your mind for a little bit, so I highly suggest trying a workout class. CorePower Yoga is a great place to start, even if you have never done yoga before. To learn more, visit their website: https://www.corepoweryoga.com/

Photos Courtesy of Pixabay and Pexels